Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to to properly use Eclipse for developing Jira plugins?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2012

It seems that the documentation for using Eclipse with Atlassian SDK is outdated and incomplete.

Is it possible to properly integrate Atlassian SDK with Jira? If yes, how?

Here is what I a proper integration does mean:

• Eclipse should recognize atlassian libraries (seems to work)
  • Source code from Atassian should be accesible in Eclipse
  • Being able to use Eclipse build / run / debug commands

I will assume last release versions of all components:

• Eclipse 4.2
  • Maven Integration for Eclipse (m2e) 1.2.x
  • Maven Integration for Eclipse WTP (m2e-wtp)
  • Atlassian SDK 4.0
  • Jira 5.2 sources, where to put them so maven/Eclipse will find them?

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2012

Lo, that not a terribly specicic question, yes it possible, but what you have actually tried, sounds like you have a maven setup but then what?

It does work, as well as needed anyway, Ive been using Eclipse with JIRA/Confluence code for oh, 5years+ now. Let us begin:

1. Eclipse / libraries.

Well, its maven, so long os your pom is valid, and you have core-api etc as a dependency, that you get with atlas-create-jira5-plugin, then you're good to go regard resolution, all you need is an internet connection. There are a few remaining libraries that need to be manually deployed due to licensing, but it only needs to be done once per repo.

2. Source code is not provided by Confluence/JIRA in a maven compatible way, it would be neat yes, but no. To use the source code, just unpack the source into a /usr/local/src/atlassian-jira-xxx folder and refer to it within Eclipse, meaning, for debug sessions just add the /usr/local/src/atlassian-jira-xxx folder as containing source, once done that Debug session will be able to resolve and seamlessly step through from your plugin code to JIRA code.

Most of the time, I use a more surgical find . -name Blah.java to locate specific classes, trying to navigate the myriad folders is not a quick task.

3. Build /Run/ debug? Well I build my JIRA5 and Confluence plugins with the maven plugin all the time. It can also be done at the command line. I dont run from eclipse, though I guess by picking the atlassian-sdk installation, you should be able to use the atlassian sdk maven build targets. I generally dont, as the sdk provided test instances starts up automatically as part of integration testing. I actually prefer to have the full application running. Setting up a standalone JIRA/Confluence from scratch can be done with less than 5 minutes. Having available launchable environments for just about every version is quite handy too.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events