How to start with Jira using Groovy

John Doe September 18, 2015

Are there any examples I can start practicing with when learning Jira? Maybe from the beginner to intermediate level would be really helpful 

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tomasz Stec
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2015

Hi,

From my expirience start practicing groovy is simple if you have some JAVA programming basis. Groovy is special script language that fully accepts JAVA syntax. Means if you have java code, you can pass it to Groovy interpreter and it will work (i don't know how about JAVA 8, but up to JAVA 7 syntax is fully compatible). If you are targeting Groovy development in JIRA environment so you also need some basic idea about JIRA JAVA API.

I started practising groovy using Script Runner's 'Script Console' and an open project in Eclipse. Eclipse's code completion is very helpful if you don't know the JIRA API entirelly. Then just put it into Script console and run.

Returning to Groovy you should go through some Groovy tutorial (easily found using goole) to learn basics about closures, managing arrays/lists/maps, generally collections. There are many convenient methods/tricks which can speed up your programming. Personally i go through this tutorial but only with issues i needed.

Generally if you have not JAVA and JIRA API basics it will be very challanging for you. Anyway, good luck!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2015

Couple of additional resources: http://igorpopov.io/2014/11/24/rocking-with-jira-script-runner/ and https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/common/DevEnvironment.html. Plus quite a lot more useful stuff floating around on the interwebs.

Prabu Sivagnanam June 4, 2019

How to get API Token from JIRA Server (Note:Not for Jira cloud), Actually i am trying to push some records from Salesforce to JIRA..So i need it

Previously in my another POC i was able to connect from SFDC to JIRA cloud by the API token from JIRA cloud (profile --> Manage your Account-->Security-->API token-->Create and manage API tokens--> Manage your account-->API tokens)

But in JIRA Server instance dont know from where to get API Token

Regards,

Prabu

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events