Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove images on emails coming into jira?

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012

Our Company has small images in the footer(Signiture) of each email sent to jira that we don't want as attachments in jira issues?

Is there a way that we can keep these images for out regular clients outside of jira, but when any email is sent to jira that these images will be excluded?

I was thinking of some sort of rule that jira won't accept image attachments under a certain size, eg. 300x300 pixels?

because we can't exclude all images just the small ones generally included in the footer/signiture?

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
bravesightlimited February 21, 2013

Hi Andy,

I see this thread is a little outdated, but still relevant for my question. Is there currently a way in JEMH to block certain types of attachments (as you mentioned checksum). I was tempted to say filesize but that's probably not a good idea in some cases.

Two options I see:

1. Filename regex (logo/brand/whatever.jpg|gif|png)
  2. File match (e.g. a checksum)

If we can do these, point me to the screen, I would be grateful!

Regards,

Arron

bravesightlimited February 21, 2013

Gah, found it! Under Plugins > JEMH > Blacklisting!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2013

The Global Blacklisting uses MD5 fingerprint, so once uploaded it will never appear again, irrespective of filename. The Profile level wildcard blacklisting is more appropriate for types, eg .exe files, .mp3, .avi etc.

Filename blacklisting is a poor solution, as Ive mentioned, as some html content is delivered inside HTML blocks as inline content and has no filename.

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2018

I've written an article about how you can do this with ScriptRunner.

Remove Jira Issue Attachments by MD5 Hash

... and a follow up article.

Remove Jira Issue Attachments by MD5 Hash Redux

1 vote
Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

We will attempt to use RegEx as a solution and purchasing expensive plugins is not a viable answer.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

Attempt is right, barking up the wrong tree IMO but feel free to prove me wrong, happy to learn. Please start the clock on your efforts, I would be really interested in how long it takes you to achieve the result outlined in the question with regexp.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

This task is on hold at the moment, will document how long it takes and will let you know of any success. kind regards

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

HI Andy, Spent a day or two on this and had no success by the way. Not sure exactly what Jira's "RegExp" purpose then?

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Hi Warren,

The Regexp support is for text removal only, which works on the result of a HTML to text conversion. With HTML 'wanted' images are embedded inline, just like signature images, they are all hoovered up during a HTML parse, and so can't be regexped out. You need more smarts in the mail handler to zap the files you dont want, which is what JEMH does.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

I see, Thanks

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

Indeed, JEMH is a mail handler that allows files to be blacklisted by checksum (you would upload your signature images and only files matching that signature get blacklisted).

The cost concious could also script something with Jamies script runner, and maintain it of course. On the topic of cost, I need time to wire in a lower tier pricing structure, it will come, Im just a little strapped for time, but that will change, soon.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

surely regex could work?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2012

I dont see regexp specifically helping. JEMH does still have a 'regexp' blacklist feature, but its more for stopping .exe .com .avi files etc. You could also put filenames in regexp to do that. But. Without something within which to ran that regexp, where are you going to put it? You would have to implement a mail handler to do this, you are welcome to, but, given costs of development and support, its probaly goign to cost you more to go there than to adopt JEMH, IMO.

0 votes
Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2012

From my research I have seen JEMH may accomplish our needs, However we require something more cost effective, $500 for 1-25 users is very steep?

Any other solutions out there?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events