How to offer an early access plugin release via Marketplace without everyone mass upgrading?

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2013

Some time back I remember options to mark stabliity of API, that was removed. I currently want to make an explicit RC release for evaluation by early adopters but not to appear as a 'click' upgrade to everyone, can this be done?

The only field available is the "release focus", but AFAICT its impact is more syntactic sugar as any listing that is available and compatible will get listed as an upgrade candidate? It would be nice if there was an Early Access or RC type entry that also did more than just get listed but stopped it appearing as a full upgrade.

If Marketplace is the primary communication interface between plugin developers and customers how can RC's be publicised? Atlassian have back channel comms with dev mailing lists and links on download pages. Worst case, I suppose a mention on the plugin page could be made, but really, how many people who already use a plugin will be expecting such things to be even look?

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
jnolen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2013

Hi Andy,

Can't be done automatically right now. And given the rest of the backlog, I'm not really keen to spend time developing this feature, given the additional complexity it would add to the system. I'd suggest that you try some direct communication with your users who might be interested in being RC testers. They can always install your plugin manually.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2013

Hi Jonathan,

Understood, I can certainly drop a few people a line, I'd just rather like any adoption to be a pull rather than a push to avoid unwanted traffic.

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/AMKT-3999 logged, thanks.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events