Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate clearcase to GIT with history

Ramesh Kagitha June 28, 2016

We have a planing to migrate the clearcase repositories to Bitbucket. I have been googling to find if i can get any utility or script that will do the migration job. 

It would be of great help, if someone can help me to find the utility or script or the steps to the migration from CC to GIT? appreciate your help.

I am able to do the migration in two phases, ie; CC to SVN and from SVN to GIT. But using this method, i am not able to get the details of the user removed files and their history. Because it takes the history the view whatever the config spec that we set it initially.

Thanks

Ramesh

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Ayman Mousa November 5, 2016

Where you able to get it working?  

0 votes
Vishnu Reddy K June 28, 2016
Ramesh Kagitha June 28, 2016

Thank Vishnu,

I have gone through that but the problem is that, its becomes cumbersome to parse the tree to find where the files are removed and to bring them. Our repository is years old and it has too many deleted/invisible files in the repository.  Can you share if you have any utility or script to achieve this?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

I have done migrations between ClearCase and Git before and every time we decided that it is better to just do a clean cut, basically take the latest code from ClearCase and migrate that over to Git. The reason has always come down to the cost you spend  on traversing ClearCase for all elements compared to keeping a handful of licenses for ClearCase around in order to allow users to go back in history. And by importing just the latest code base, you can reorganize the code as well.

To answer your question regarding when files where removed, you will have to check each version of the directory to see if an element was removed. You could either use cleartool describe, if the user kept the generated checkin comment, or use cleartool lshistory to see if a element was removed. This IBM tech note should give you a start on using lshistory to find deleted elements, http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21245108

But again, I would consider the pros and cons of leaving the old code in ClearCase vs migrating it all over to Git,

shubham agarwal October 10, 2017

Hi Mikael,

Could you please tell me how you migrate data from Clearcase to Git?

Is this the same approach of CC to SVN and SVN to Git? Or ou have done it with any other approach.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

@shubham agarwal the migrations I have done I just created a view that selected the latest code base we where working on, applied a label and then just used copy/paste it all into the Git repository. You could do the same if you decide to bring over, lets say the last five releases. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events