Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make JIRA custom field (Select List type or Label type) sort data in order of user selection?

ashygoyal January 18, 2016

Requirement: Create a custom field which will have pre-defined values. User selects certain values in random order, they should appear in the field as it is as per user selection (it shouldn't be sorted in alphanumerical order).

Options tried: I tried creating custom fields of type: Select List, Checkbox, Labels. I defined 4 values for each of these fields: 

• a value
  • b value
  • c value
  • d value

Now, If I select 'd value' first and then 'b value', after saving, the order of my selection is lost and values appear in an alphabetical order (in all 3 types of custom fields). I want to retain the order in which I selected the values. Is there any configuration setting or any other solution which I can try to achieve the requirement.

Note: I am using JIRA 6.4.12

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2016

JIRA doesn't even get the selection order back from the browser, let alone have any way to store it.  Multi-select fields in html do not work that way.  In fact, you'd need to capture and recalculate on every click the user makes on a field list, and deal with them using ctrl-click and shift-click to make different selections.  It's just not there in plain html.

You will need to write a custom-field add-on that is capable of catching and storing any order set by the user.  I'd recommend moving away from the multi-select method and doing something a bit more dynamic (like the drag and drop that Atlassian use in places like setting the order of options or status in the configuration screens)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events