Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit the resolution of the existing issue in jira

Ramesh Udari1 December 26, 2012

Hi,

is there any way to edit the resolution of the exising issues simmilar bulk edit option.

6 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2012

Yes, you use bulk-edit, or just edit for single issues, assuming you have a resolution field on the screen that the edit goes through.

I'm guessing your question is a little more complex than this - are you trying to change the resolution on "closed" issues? The default workflow (and most others) tend to have a "can not edit issue if it is in this status" glag on them, which blocks any updates. The solutions for that include:

• Reopen the issues and then re-close them
  • Edit the workflow and remove the flag (Which enables the standard edit, but for all users unless you get really clever)
  • Edit the workflow so that it includes a tranistion from "closed" back to "closed" and goes through a screen with the resolution on it (and probably has a "condition" of "admin only" or similar), then you can push the issues through it.
Molly Favret January 17, 2013

Hi Nic, what you describe is exactly what I am trying to do. I have several issues in a "Closed" status and "Abandoned" status that I need to give Resolutions to. I added the Resolution field to the appropriate screens and tried a bulk change, but did not see Resolution as a field choice to update. I'm assuming this has to do with the block you mention above where closed issues cannot be edited.

Looking at your 3 options, 1 won't work so I will have to use 2 or 3. For 2, how do you remove this flag from the workflow to enable the standard edit? I do not see this option anywhere?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2013

Mmm, what makes you say option 1 won't work?

Option 2 - look at the workflow in the workflow editor, find the "closed" status, and look for the "properties". You'll find it has one like jira.editable = false. Create a draft of the workflow and remove that property, publish the draft, and you'll be able to (bulk) edit closed issues.

Like Lance Carnow likes this

Thanks Nick. I think that would work, but I ended up using the Groovy script runner built in script for fixing resolution since I already had it installed.

Shane Kenyon July 24, 2014

The resolution field is not availbe in bulk edit.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2014

It is if you use bulk-transition, as described above.

Shane Kenyon July 24, 2014

Understood, if you progress all your issues through the workflow, but that is different than what you described as "bulk-edit" or single issue edit. The Groovy solution described below did, however, work very well and I see why they made that a built-in script.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2014

Not really. Bulk-edit is just a way of doing something en-masse.

2 votes
Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

An easy way to change the resolution is to use Groovy Runner (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner).

Just create a filter for the issues that shall be changed.
Choose the built in filter "Bulk Fix Resolutions".
Provide the filter and the new resolution.
Run the script.

This worked perfectly and was much easier than changing all of the workflows. Thanks!

I spoke too soon! It worked for one of my status types (Abandoned) where I had around 300 issues. It successfully migrated these from Unresolved to Resolution = Abandoned.

When I tried to do the same thing for another status type (Closed) where I had around 1800 issues, it failed. I then broke the 1800 issues down into 2 filters of about 900 each. When I selected "Preview" it said ~900 issues will be modified, but when I chose ran it came back with "0 issues were modified". I confirmed that my workflows do not have the propery jira.editable=false. Do you know what else I may need to change to get this to work on my Closed Status? I would like to migrate all Closed status tickets from Unresolved to Resolution = Closed.

Sorry for the multiple comments, but I think it actually worked the first time where I got the error message (running on 1800 tickets). My tickets are now showing up as resolved in the various gadgets. Thanks again.

1 vote
Nagesh Joy April 16, 2014

Hello All,

I want to edit the resolution of existing issue (Fixed to Re-Open), but when i tried "Bulk operation -> Edit Issue"

resolution field is not available on the screen that the edit goes through, can any one help me on this...

0 votes
Nicola Vona November 22, 2016

Workaround: 
Go to the issue, select More --> Clone.
This will create a new issue identical to the old one, but with no work logged and unresolved. The new issue will contain a link to the old one. 

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

I've written up a HowTo document for this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/HowTo%3A+Bulk+Edit+Resolution

Try it out and let me know what you think!

0 votes
graham lantair January 17, 2013

I had to do something similar to this a while ago as well. The way I did it was:

1. Make a copy of whatever workflow you're working on.
  2. Go to the step that the tickets are stuck on and add a new transition that simply goes back to itself, i.e. closed to closed.
  3. Click on that transition and go to post functions -> add -> update issue field.
  4. Select resolution from the dropdown and get the right one.
  5. Temporarily swap workflows on your project for this one and then you can bulk transition the tickets through the new step you just added. The resolution will be set to whatever you picked but the status will remain the same.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events