How to define table column with multiple rows per row

David Karr May 12, 2016

I'm sure that question isn't clear.  To put it another way, I need to define a table format where each "logical row" of the table, which consists of two columns, has two physical rows in the first column, and one physical row in the second column.

I want this because I really have three physical pieces of "information" i want to display for each logical row of the table.  Two of them are very short, and one of them is much larger.  To make the display more concise, I'd like the first column to show both "short pieces" with header labels over each of them, and the second column will show the big piece.

To be more explicit, I'm managing a list of reservation calendars for test labs.  Each will have a name and a contact email, and the embedded calendar (list format).  I'd like to show the name and contact email in the first column, and the calendar in the second column.

How can I do this?

Update:

Since I appear to be restricted from commenting on answers to my own questions until I get 3 karma points, I guess I'll have to reply to comments indirectly in my question.

I'm unable to get the "merge table cells" function to do anything.  I shift-click the three cells to be merged and then click on "Merge Table Cells".  The only result is that it briefly highlights all of the table cells, and then most of the highlights disappear, resulting in only the first selected cell being highlighted.  No other changes occur.  No cells are merged.

Update:

Following the instructions in "Rodney Hughes" response, here are some images showing the steps I took, according to the instructions.

Initial table:

InitialTable.png

After selecting the two cells:

AfterSelectingTwoCells.png

After clicking "Merge table cells" button:

ImmediatelyAfterClickingMergeButton.png

And after waiting a few more seconds after the previous image:

Screenshot from 2016-05-12 14-10-05.png

Final result on saved page:

Screenshot from 2016-05-12 14-17-05.png

As you can see, nothing's happening here.

I'm testing this on my main laptop running CentOS7.2, using Firefox, and an Ubuntu 16.04 VM, also using Firefox.

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

I would have two columns.  Each calendar entry would span over two rows.  The first column, first row would have name, The first column, second row would have email.  Merge the second columns first and second row for the Calendar.

NAMECAL
EMAIL
0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2016

Create a table with say 3 columns and 1 header row and two other rows

In the first column highlight the two cells of the two rows (i.e. 1 column x 2 rows) and click the "merge cells" button on the wiki editor bar

The first column will now just have the header with one "large" cell under it, but the other columns will have two "normal" rows under them

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events