How to customize Merge Check button in Bitbucket?

chengc_bb June 9, 2016

Is there any event that can be handled by a custom event handle so that when a user clicks the Merge Check button on the pull request web page a pre-merge sanity build can be kicked off? If the sanity build passes then the merge can proceed. Otherwise, the merge will not happen.

I had already used a custom merge check to enable/disable the Merge Check button when certain conditions happened, e.g. allowed merge only when the ToRef branch was "feature/<name>". But in the above case we will like to save Jenkins resources by starting the sanity build only when the user clicks on the Merge Check button.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

Hi Cheuk,

I just wrote a really long answer and when I posted it this thing told me:

image2016-6-10 10:30:47.png

I can't face typing it all again, but approximately I said:

You should avoid doing this on a merge check. Merge checks should be quick and they run often.

One option might be to:

• Add a merge-check that checks for the presence of some property on the PR
  • Add a new web-item in that location called "Ready to Merge" or something. This calls a REST endpoint that kicks off the build. 
  • If the build is successful it sets the PR property
  • Now PR can be merged

Another possible way is to add an event handler on GitMergeRequestedEvent, that, if no builds are associated with the PR, kicks one off, then calls .cancel() with a sensible error message.

If a passed build is associated with the PR it can allow the merge to proceed.

I'd be lying if I was to tell you that all this is super-easy.

chengc_bb June 13, 2016

Hi Jamie.  Thanks for your suggestion and all the information.  My team will implement a new "Build" button for building.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events