Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add rich text editor / wiki markup in velocity

alexis September 9, 2015

Hi everyone,

It's been days I've been looking for a solution for this !

When you create an issue in JIRA you can describe the bug in kind of rich text editor called wiki markup I think.

I'm actually devellopping a plugin for JIRA and I want to add one of them in a velocity template.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this but I can't find it.

Thanks for your precious help !

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
alexis September 15, 2015

Thanks for your help guys, I don't understand everything but it partially work.

I checked edit-textarea.vm and description-edit.vm and it gave me some information.

In my Java file I have my renderer and my rendererDescriptor, no problem with that.
In velocity things are a little different...

The problem is that I don't understand all the parameters, actually I filled with some shitty stuff but it's not perfect.
Here's what's the doc is asking :

public String getEditVM (String value, String issueKey, String rendererType, String fieldId, String fieldName, Map params, boolean singleLine)

Value : Ok, it's the default content of my window, no problem.

IssueKey : What ? I don't work on an issue, why should I need this ? How do I fill it ?

rendererType : Well I filled it with atlassian-wiki-renderer hoping it's the good answer.

fieldId : why are we talking of field over here ?

field : Same question.

rendererParams : ok it's for customing the window.

singleLine : ok, once again it's the appearance of the window I guess.

So actually a window appear on my Web Page, it's a kind of text box with two icons below.

However, I don't get all the fancy options above to write in bold etc.

if I write a word between two asterisk it's not bold either.

I need this two things because I want to edit my text with options and also copy and paste it to word for example.

Any tips guys ? :)

Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

Concerning the parameters: * issueKey: You can leave that empty. * rendererType​: Yes, must be "atlassian-wiki-renderer​". * fieldId​: The id​ and name​ of the <textarea>​ element. Any value you want. Your Action​ should have an appropriate setter​-method to retrieve the client's value. * fieldName​: You can leave that empty. Concerning the 2nd question: JIRA's editor is not a real rich-text / WYSIWYG-editor, like for example the editor here on Answers. You have to click the blue preview-button (1 of the "two icons below") in order to see the rendered content. The editor you're seeing (with the 2 buttons) is the final, complete and correct JIRA editor.

Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

If you found my answer useful, please consider accepting it by ticking the checkmark next to it.

fcri July 20, 2017

Hi there,

I'm having some problems with this. Can you help me?

Best Regards,

0 votes
alexis September 15, 2015

Thanks for everything guys, now it's working perfectly.

But I have one last question, here's the thing :

On the wiki renderer I display text and issues keys. When I click on the left button below I have some beautiful text with colors and stuff. Issue keys are also transformed in links. No problem with that but some of them are barred because they're closed / finish or equivalent.
I don't want them to be barred.
I looked on the documentation thinking about the rendererParams but I don't get interesting things or I don't understand them.
I didn't find anything usefull here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf54/confluence-user-s-guide/advanced-and-special-uses-of-confluence/working-with-confluence-markup/confluence-wiki-markup-for-macros

But maybe the answer is not based on parameters.

As always, thanks for your help !

Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2015

JIRA's wiki-renderer renders all issue-link as strike-through (what you call "barred") when the issue's resolution is set. That can't be changed. Your link does not apply here. It is about Confluence macros, NOT about JIRA's wiki-renderer.

Rbig January 2, 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a question for you, how i can get the value of Jira renderer (html) in my servlet ?

It's been days I've been looking for a solution for this !

Thanks for your help !

0 votes
Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2015

Yes, agree with Andreas. 

You can also refer below example

#set ($rendererManager = $componentManager.getRendererManager())
#set ($wikiRenderer = $rendererManager.getRendererForType('atlassian-wiki-renderer'))
#set ($ircontext = $issue.getIssueRenderContext())

#if ($customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_1000"))
    #set ($cfCustomFieldName = $customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_1000").getFieldName())
    #set ($cfCustomFieldVal = $issue.getCustomFieldValue($customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject("customfield_1000")))

#end

#if ($cfCustomFieldVal)
 &lt;tr&gt;
    &lt;th&gt;$cfCustomFieldName:&lt;/th&gt;
    &lt;td&gt;$wikiRenderer.render($cfCustomFieldVal, $ircontext)
    &lt;/td&gt;
 &lt;/tr&gt;
#end
Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2015

Your code does not quite what OP wants. He wants an editor, i.e. an EDIT view. In contrast, your code renders wiki-markup and displays it statically, i.e. a VIEW view.

abdul hafiz February 3, 2016

Thanks Taha, this was very helpful to me. I had a velocity template in which I wanted to render only one area of the text with wiki style renderer and your code was a perfect solution that I was looking for. 

0 votes
Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2015

If you have access to JIRA's source code, take a look at edit-textarea.vm and description-edit.vm.

Basically, you use JiraRendererModuleDescriptor#getEditVM in your Velocity template to generate the HTML.

The wiki-renderer you get like so:

JiraRendererPlugin renderer = rendererManager.getRendererForType("atlassian-wiki-renderer");
JiraRendererModuleDescriptor rendererDescriptor = renderer.getDescriptor();

One important parameter of the getEditVM() method is the Map params. For example, it must contain an entry with key mentionable and boolean value true in order to enable @-mentions. For more possible entries, take a look at edit-textarea.vm.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events