Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to activate velocity template caching?

shess March 17, 2013

We want to enhance the performance and load time of our developed confluence plugins. One step is to cache our velocity template files. Is confluence already caching all template files even for plugins by default? Or do we have to enable it somehow manually?

Cheers
Segfault

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

Confluence already caches velocity files after the first time they are accessed, so you don't need to do anything in order to benefit from this.

Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

Is the advice in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Cache+Performance+Tuning?focusedCommentId=229840024#comment-229840024 still relevant to Confluence 5?

how to fully cache the VM and VMD Files: The following lines had to be added to velocity.properties. Now there are not any hard drive fetches happening at all from Velocity during page load. (Found here). Otherwise without the following lines it was previously still issuing a hard-drive fetch each time to check if the file had been updated (huge performance penalty due to needing to move the hard-drive platter head each time).

wwfile.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval=0
confclass.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval=0
hibernate.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval=0

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2013

In version 5.3 I see that the settings are as follows:

wwfile.resource.loader.cache=true
confclass.resource.loader.cache=true
hibernate.resource.loader.cache=true
confplugin.resource.loader.cache=true
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval=-1

VM file checking is turned off (anything <=0 is off), as for the other settings I don't see a modification check set. I'm guessing that disabling some of the others may affect things like plugin installation or modifying space templates. I'm guess here but it would probably not cause harm to set intervals on these but, may require you to forcibly flush the cache via the admin page (or possible restart confluence) after installing a plugin or modifying space templates.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events