Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use IntelliJ IDEA to develop several Jira plugins?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2012

So far the only integration option I found was to use `atlas-create-jira5-plugin` utility to create a project, a project that is recognized by IntelliJ IDEA but I cannot use `run`, `debug`, `test` or deploy options from the IDE.

Do you have any resources that would indicate how to achieve this?

Here is a sample project that I try to configure to work with IntelliJ IDEA.

https://bitbucket.org/sorin/jira-plugin-intellij

7 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

6 votes
Answer accepted
Christofer Dutz October 2, 2012

As this link seems to allways popup in first position when I'm using google to re-find-out how to do this, I might aswell leave the solution here so I'll find it quicker next time ;-)

When working with IntelliJ I edit and debug the application from IntelliJ, but I run the plugin from a command prompt (In fact I need 2 of them). In one I execute "atlas-debug" in the root of my plugin directory. This starts whatever application is needed with the plugin and is configured for remote debugging. Then in IntelliJ I setup a remote debugging target and use that to connnect to the running application. Now debugging works like a charm.

If I wannt to apply changes, I open a second command prompt and use the commandline interface "atlas-cli" to open the Atlassian SDK Commandline Interface. Within that cli application you can compile and redeploy your plugin using the "pi" (Plugin install) command. After executing that command the new version of your plugin is immediatelly active.

I guess you could aswell make IntelliJ run "atlas-debug" and "atlas-cli" from within IntelliJ, but I never bothered to configure this.

Joel Wilson January 7, 2014

I'm trying to work through the IDE part of the tutorial, which is very Eclipse-centric. In Step 2 of https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/Put+the+Final+Polish+on+the+Project+in+Eclipse, they mention using atlas-mvn eclipse:eclipseto generate Eclipse configuration files. Is there a similar process that needs to be done for IntelliJ?

Daniel Micallef August 11, 2016

Hi Joel, 

Did you ever manage to find something similair for IntelliJ?

2 votes
Eric White July 24, 2012

Yeah, the link mentioned here has very incomplete information. The Atlassian SDK scripts set a different environment when run, adding the maven repositories necessary to build, compile, and test.

Importing into IDEA does not capture this information, and must be configured manually.

Luboš Račanský September 26, 2012

Could you share that configuration.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

I updated my question and added a link to a sample project.

2 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2012
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2012

Mulțam Radu! ;) ... still I was aware about the link above, but the only think it does is to allow you to open the project in IDEA and compile it. Still RUN or DEBUG are not configured.

Luboš Račanský September 26, 2012

Indeed, the documentation is realy insufficient.

Like # people like this
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012
1 vote
SERGEY KOCHKAREV May 28, 2015

Hi, Sorin,

I confirm Cristopher's answer as the best. I also wanted to add that you can use the built in terminal window in Idea - just press Alt+F12, then cd to your plugin folder, run atlas-cli and make pi.

0 votes
Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2018

I am still not satisfied by current documentation: https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/configure-idea-to-use-the-sdk/

Typically my add-on unit tests runs properly with "atlas-mvn" command but IDEA fails to run/debug unit test after a compilation failure on classes (not test cases) for lacking dependencies (when importing Apache commons collections, io, lang or "webwork" packages) which are expected to come with SDK itself.

What should I do to get my IDEA project to compile so that I can run unit tests?

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2018

Based on this blog entry: http://biercoff.com/how-to-setup-jira-plugin-project-in-intelij-idea-on-mac/

I have been able to tune my IDEA project Settings so that to use Atlassian Plugin SDK specific maven version (home, settings.xml and repository)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea January 7, 2014

Because the documentation page is in complete I raised bugs on both Atlassian SDK and IntelliJ IDEA for documenting this.

0 votes
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2012

Can someone from Atlassian fix the damn documentation, we are not even allowed to add comments to it. The documentation is cleary outdated/obsolete/imcomplete.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events