Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I specify two versions of an add on in "Manage add ons"

Marketing Quantum February 24, 2013

I had to create two separate jars for a single add on. One that supports Jira 5 and the other for Jira 4. How do I specify which one to be used for each version?

This is an add on that is downloaded and installed in the marketplace, so how do I get users to download the appropriate one?

And how do I include both jars?

Version 5 uses some things not available in 4 so they need to be separate jars.

Thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

You can publish two separate versions and set their product compatibility appropriately. The UPM will automatically download the correct version based on the compatibility you specify.

From the Marketplace website, users can use the Version History tab to download the appropriate version based on their application.

1 vote
elibishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

These will have to be two different version numbers as far as Marketplace is concerned. A convention I've seen some vendors use is to set the version strings to, for instance, "1.0-jira4" and "1.0-jira5". You can set the build numbers to whatever you want (keeping in mind that the build numbers determine the overall ordering of versions), but they must be different from each other.

Specifying the compatibility is pretty straightforward, since you already get to do this for each plugin version. For the one that only works with JIRA 4, just set the minimum version to 4.0 and the maximum to 4.4.5 (the current latest 4.x version)*; for the JIRA 5 one, set the minimum to 5.0 and the maximum to 5.2.7. Users who are installing the plugin from within the product (via the plugin manager a.k.a. Find New Add-ons) will automatically get the right one, since the plugin manager filters out everything that's not compatible with the product you have. Users who are downloading it from the Marketplace website will still have to pick one or the other, but it's easy to see the JIRA version compatibility range in the plugin version history list.

* Note that if we release a new micro version (4.4.6), we'll update your compatibility automatically, but we don't do that if it's a new minor version (4.5).

Marketing Quantum February 24, 2013

Great! Thanks

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events