cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set issue security levels based on a custom field

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

Hi all

I'm trying to add issue security based on customer names being loosely associated with user groups

In our workflow, we enter a serial number which is then looked up in an external database and the associated customer name and site name are stored in nFeed custom fields

We want to use these fields for security levels, but they don't show up under Group Custom Field Value

Would the plugin have to be updated, or how do I find out which types of custom field are allowed to be used for this purpose?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012
Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

Hi guys

Both problems have the same issue - we want to use some external metadata to store the group name - in many cases the customer themselves aren't logging the issue, or aren't participating in the issue report

In quite a few cases, what we have is a spreadsheet of issues and serial numbers emailled through, so we look up the customer name automatically from the serial number, so we want to use the same kind of idea to store the customer's group name. I'll see if I can use behaviours, but I'd rather use scripted workflow post functions as suggested

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

If you need to look up an alternative data source, then you need to have some code for the same.

You may also store your serial number vs customer information in a table in the JIRA database and use the below plugin for selecting the serial number during issue creation.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.databasecf

This will help you to maintian the data just in one place, rather than in one in JIRA select list and one in external data source.

0 votes
Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2012

I've managed to get it working as a post-function - which is possibly less than ideal, as there are various points in our workflow where this may be applicable. I might try to change it to a listener to check for updates to the serial number field and update the CC group field as appropriate.

Cheers for the ideas - now just need to make it work ;)

Any thoughts on post-functions - from the community's perspective is it a better way to go than to write an event listener?

ali.kansso September 13, 2018

Did you manage to change it to a listener? I am looking to write a similar script as a listener as a post-function is not ideal for us eaither.  

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2012

Hi Scott,

Maybe you can write a listener or a post-function that reads the custom field value, check which group the customer belongs to and set the issue security level accordingly?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events