Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I migrate users from an internal directory to Active Directory?

Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2014

Hello ,

I'm upgrading JIRA from 4,3 to 6.3.9 and I need some help.

In fact we have 3000 users and more than 20000 issues and we would like to move users from Internal directory to an LDAP directory .

The users exists in AD and in JIRA .

how to move the issues and assign,comments,... to the new users ,as the existing internal users are already referenced in issues, groups etc.

The users have the same information in AD and in JIRA

I would like to stop internal directory and start using the users in new LDAP without loosing information 

I'm using MSSQL as database,

Please advice.

Best regards,

Rita

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2014

If you have the users in both directories using the same username, you can simply put the LDAP on the top in the User Directories screen, and JIRA will start to use it instead of the internal. The issue association is based in the username, so it will not be a problem.

If you don't have all internal users in your LDAP, take a look at the following link, it can be helpful:

Cheers,

Deleted user December 2, 2014
Like Mikhail Kosenko likes this
Matt Wilson June 19, 2015

In this scenario, should you remove group access prior to moving LDAP to the top of the list? I guess I'm concerned about 1 user taking up 2 license. I've noticed that when the user id's match, that Jira only shows you the "top matching" account.

Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2015

Dear @Andre Quadros Petry , I am having the same issue as Rita but the difference is that we have different usernames but same email address. What do you suggest.

Matt Wilson June 25, 2015

you can change your JIRA userids. Its a pretty painless operation, depending on how many users you have...

Leena Bakshi October 3, 2018

I know I am picking up on a pretty old thread however I am in the exact soup, where I need to change Jira user ids from their current format to their email address in order for this AD move to be succesfull.

However I need to do this for nearly 600 users. And I am lookin for either some sort of plugin or script which can do that for me. Adaptavist Scriptrunner support has guided me to some other Atlassian community thread instead of straight answer. 

Appreciate any answer on this.

Thanks

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2018
6 votes
Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2014

thank you Andre for the information.

It help me a lot 

petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2014

No problem, Rita! ;)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events