How can I use JIRA RSS feeds in my feed reader without embedding my plaintext username and password in the URL?

David Allison September 8, 2011

When I take my hosted JIRA installation and visit and RSS feed link by creating a search and then allowing my browser to show me the RSS feed URL, I get something like:

https://myaccount.onjira.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?view=rss&&jqlQuery=ORDER+BY+updated+DESC%2C+created+DESC%2C+key+DESC&tempMax=100&reset=true&decorator=none

But since my issues are protected by authentication, according to this old forums post:

http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?messageID=257253550&#257253550

I need to do this...

<address class="jive-message-body" style="padding-top: 1em; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 2em; padding-left: 0px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: #222222; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-color: #cccccc; border-top-style: solid; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; margin: 0px;">Note however you may need to add os_username=***&os_password=YYY to the URL in order to 'authenticate' to Jira to get the required data out (assuming the issues are protected from anonymous users).</address>

But most other protected RSS feeds either use secure HTTP auth (since it's over SSL) or they have a token key that you use, instead of embedding your plaintext password in the feed URL. I really don't want to embed my plaintext password in the feed URL, and was wondering if there's a way in JIRA to use the RSS feeds in my feed reader without embedding my credentials in the URL itself.

If there isn't a way to do this, can I request it as a feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

5 votes
Answer accepted
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2011

What you want is to append os_authType=basic into your URL as documented here

David Allison September 8, 2011

Yay! Thanks a bunch - after googling, I found just the link I referenced above, so thank you very much for pointing out the correct docs page.

Like peter watts likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events