Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How add Websockets integration to JIRA plugin?

Paweł Murawski December 16, 2013

I wanted to integrate Websockets support to one of the JIRA plugins that we develop but to no success. I tried Atmosphere and Bristleback libraries and also native Tomcat Websockets support. The problems start after adding required dependencies to pom.xml - I run plugin using atlas-debug and it doesn't even start properly, there are many exceptions in the log (usually connected to OSGI).

The thing I'm trying to achieve is to create asynchronous communication between plugin and JIRA. If I use REST I would have to ask JIRA every few seconds if data changed and this is just wasting of resources. Can anone help me with this problem?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paweł Murawski April 27, 2014

We finally used long polling in our project. Unfortunately I couldn't integrate websockets in any way. Even when you manage to do that still you have to consider what configuration your customer have - for example if you need to use specific version of Tomcat you are not guaranteed that your customer will also have it.

Nevertheless if you find any way to integrate websockets in JIRA plugin please share your knowledge here, as I am very interested if this is even possible.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

Thanks for the response. I was able to deploy atmosphere-runtime via the UPM, as it's packaged as an OSGi repo. I was then able to get something working, although I didn't pursue the idea that far. Although I think it would work I believe there is other configuration people need to do if they front jira with apache or nginx, which is fairly common. This makes it a bit unsuitable for use in a "mass-market" plugin imho, atm. I may come back to it.

Thanks for your answer though.

Kirill Bobrovskikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2014

Pavel, thank you for sharing your solution. I have a question about long polling approach - have you experienced any problems with reaching maximum number of simultaneous connections?

Paweł Murawski November 11, 2014

We didn't have such a problem on our dev environment, also we've never heard from our clients that they had this problem on their JIRAs. Our plugin is dedicated for agile teams which usually don't have more that 10 people so big number of simultaneous connections shouldn't be a problem in our case. Have you experienced such a problem yourself?

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2014

@Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] - wasted a day trying to get atmoshphere to play nice. Which approach did you use(servlet, filter, rest module, etc), do you have any examples or insight you are willing to share? I tried just defining a servlet module, but get class not defined errors for the core atmosphere servlet.

Paweł Murawski November 21, 2014

Jamie thanks for sharing this information. I am closing this question for now because of annoying automatic emails from Atlassian Answers.

Nikolay January 24, 2016

Any news?

0 votes
Florian Bauer
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2017

is there any complete example of this somewhere??

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2014

Interested in this too... Pawel, did you make any progress?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events