cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat Integrations

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2015

We are looking for integrating our HipChat cloud server to our JIRA Server. Can anyone provide me some pointers to start with for the following requirements:

1) We need to create two rooms on HipChat per the name of the JIRA ticket. For example , if a JIRA ticket is named as ABC-123, we need 2 rooms to be created automatically - one with the name of the ticket i.e. ABC-123 and the other as say, ABC-123-Other

2) Also given that we have server version of JIRA and cloud version of Hipchat, what would be the best way to make these 2 systems communicate - would it be through Java API or Node JS? I would prefer Java, but can also go for Node JS solution if need be. Basically what we want here is that the link to HipChat rooms that would be created in JIRA ticket, per the requirement 1 above, should also be able to be sent to some third party system as well. What would be the best approach here to get the room link that HipChat creates?

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2015

Hi,

I am one of the developers for HipChat/JIRA integration and I will try to answer all your questions here...

You can see more info about the plugin here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACLOUD/Configuring+HipChat+in+JIRA+Cloud

I don't know your JIRA version but I would suggest to update to the latest version of the plugin before starting the process of connection

1) We need to create two rooms on HipChat per the name of the JIRA ticket. For example , if a JIRA ticket is named as ABC-123, we need 2 rooms to be created automatically - one with the name of the ticket i.e. ABC-123 and the other as say, ABC-123-Other

Right now you can use "Dedicated Rooms" , it's not automatic , it's just a button in the ticket that will make what you want and any comments happening about that ticket in HipChat and any change in the ticket in JIRA will be posted to that room.

2) Also given that we have server version of JIRA and cloud version of Hipchat, what would be the best way to make these 2 systems communicate - would it be through Java API or Node JS? I would prefer Java, but can also go for Node JS solution if need be. Basically what we want here is that the link to HipChat rooms that would be created in JIRA ticket, per the requirement 1 above, should also be able to be sent to some third party system as well. What would be the best approach here to get the room link that HipChat creates?

The best way is to make JIRA addressable from the internet, that way a bi-directional communication is created and will let people inside HipChat type issue-keys and JIRA will respond back with that.

Apart from that, JIRA will track all the mentions about those tickets and you will be able to see all those mentions from the JIRA ticket.

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2015

Thanks Carlos for the response - however I am still a bit unclear - is there a way we can create 2 rooms from a jira ticket like I have mentioned in the requirement by a single click of "Create a hipchat room " button?

Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2015

no, there is no way right now to do that, the idea is that one JIRA ticket has one dedicated room where all the information goes there, and all the teams could go there to discuss about it.

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2015

Thanks a lot @Carlos Khatchikian , just one last question : Is there a REST API for hipchat integration plugin which can return the URL of the room if I pass the room name? I am currently looking at the REST calls provided by the plugin, but unable to find such call? Any idea? Please let me know soon as we need this pretty urgently.

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2015

@Carlos Khatchikian , for my above comment, I tried a POST on this /rest/hipchat/integration/1.0/rooms, but its giving me error when I pass the room name , saying the room already exists. Please let me know what would the right REST call to use.

Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
November 3, 2015

If you do a GET to that API it will list all the rooms with ids, be careful cause that API will make many API calls to HipChat and you could be hitting a rate limit. HipChat has a rate limit of 500 requests per 5 minutes. When you. To create the URL of a room to open THAT room in the webclient the url is like this: https://{groupname}.hipchat.com/room/{room id or room name (encoded)} So if you have a HipChat group called "test-rooms" and a room called "room link" The url would be: https://test-rooms.hipchat.com/rooms/room%20link I hope this helps

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2015

Thanks @Carlos Khatchikian . Actually, I got the room details by making use of this REST call /rest/hipchat/compatibility/1.0/issuepanel/data/. This works, BUT lets say some hipchat rooms are configured based on the JQL resultset per project, is there a way in which I can get all roomsby just passing the issue id similar to the REST call I just mentioned?

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2015

Hi @Carlos Khatchikian , I need some help from you regarding this again. So , it turns out that I am unable to make this call : AJS.params.baseURL + "/rest/hipchat/compatibility/1.0/issuepanel/data/"+issueId+".json from within my plugin. This call can give me the REST URL I am looking for , and if I make it from REST Browser, or even if I paste this in the address bar of my browser, it still gives me the JSON. But I need to make this call from the plugin , and in that case it always errors out i.e. goes to the error: section of the AJAX call. Please provide your input on this - is there any restrcition in making that REST call from any other plugin?

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2015
0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2015

Hi Jagnesh,

Atlassian have already built this intergration for Jira. All you need to do is install the HipChat connector plugin from the url below. Once configured you will have your integration. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.labs.hipchat.hipchat-for-jira-plugin

I hope hope this helps.

Kristian 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events