HibernateException: Could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed on Custom Bamboo Plugin

MarkW December 6, 2011

I am writing a Bamboo Notification Plugin. I have the NotificationType, NotoficationListener and Notification classes defined. In the listener I cannot get the notificationRules. I get the error below.

Caused by: net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed

I can't seem to do anything that would require bamboo to access data in the database. I am doing this in SDK 3.7.2. Should I be importing something in my plugin.xml or my pom.xml file that I am not already doing?

Does anyone have a working Notification Plugin for an example?

atlassian-plugin.xml

<atlassian-plugin key="${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId}"
	name="${project.name}" plugins-version="2">
	<plugin-info>
		<description>${project.description}</description>
		<version>${project.version}</version>
		<vendor name="${project.organization.name}" url="${project.organization.url}" />
	</plugin-info>

<!-- internationalize your plugin -->
	<resource type="i18n" name="txdps.bamboo language" location="english" />

<notificationType key="deployStageCompleted.allBuilds"
		name="Any  Completed Deploy Stages" class="txdps.bamboo.DeployNotificationType"
		weight="10">
		<description>Any Deploy Completed Stages</description>
		<scope>chain</scope>
	</notificationType>

<bambooEventListener key="completedDeployStageNotificationEventListener"
		name="Completed Deploy Stage Event Notification Listener" class="txdps.bamboo.DeployNotificationListener">
		<description>something
		</description>
	</bambooEventListener>
</atlassian-plugin>

DeployNotificationListener.java

@ThreadSafe
public class DeployNotificationListener extends
		AbstractNotificationEventListener<BuildStateResultEvent> {

private ResultsSummaryManager resultsSummaryManager;
	public DeployNotificationListener() {
		super(BuildStateResultEvent.class,
				Sets.<Class<? extends NotificationType>> newHashSet(DeployNotificationType.class));
	}

@Override
	public void handleEvent(BuildStateResultEvent event, Plan plan) {

Notification myNotification = new DeployNotification();
		myNotification.setEvent(event);

BuildResultsSummary resultsSummary = resultsSummaryManager
				.getResultsSummary(event.getPlanResultKey(),
						BuildResultsSummary.class, ResultDataRead.EAGER);
		for (NotificationRule rule : getNotificationRules(plan, event)) {
			NotificationRecipient recipient = rule.getNotificationRecipient();
			if (recipient != null) {
				myNotification.addRecipient(recipient);
			}
		}
		notificationDispatcher.dispatchNotifications(myNotification);
	}

public void setResultsSummaryManager(
			ResultsSummaryManager resultsSummaryManager) {
		this.resultsSummaryManager = resultsSummaryManager;
	}

}

The code throws the exception here:

for (NotificationRule rule : getNotificationRules(plan, event)) {
			NotificationRecipient recipient = rule.getNotificationRecipient();
			if (recipient != null) {
				myNotification.addRecipient(recipient);
			}
		}

Shortened StackTrace:

2011-12-06 16:41:04,363 INFO AtlassianEvent::0-BAM::EVENTS:pool-1-thread-9 DeployNotificationListener resultsSummary.getLifeCycleState().getValue(): Finished
2011-12-06 16:41:04,366 ERROR AtlassianEvent::0-BAM::EVENTS:pool-1-thread-9 LazyInitializer Exception initializing proxy
net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed
at com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.NotificationManagerImpl.getNotificationRules(NotificationManagerImpl.java:143)
at $Proxy166.getNotificationRules(Unknown Source)
at com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.AbstractNotificationEventListener.getNotificationRules(AbstractNotificationEventListener.java:73)
at txdps.bamboo.DeployNotificationListener.handleEvent(DeployNotificationListener.java:65)

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
bmccoy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2011

Hi Mark,

Your code is trying to access the database but the database session has been closed. Originally the event listeners had magic interceptors to ensure the session was there, but these dont work for plugins 2 plugins. So, you will need to manually put your code inside a transaction. You can use SAL's transaction template:

@Override
    public void handleEvent(BuildStateResultEvent event, Plan plan)
    {
        transactionTemplate.execute(new TransactionCallback<Object>()
        {
            @Override
            public Object doInTransaction()
            {
               // your code goes here...
                return null;
            }
        });
    }

You will also need to import the TransactionTemplate in your atlassian-plugin.xml

<component-import key="transactionTemplate" name="Hibernate Transaction Template" interface="com.atlassian.sal.api.transaction.TransactionTemplate">
    <description>Component that provides a hibernate transaction</description>
  </component-import>

Cheers,

Brydie

0 votes
Matt Curtis April 18, 2013

Hey Rudy,

Thanks for replying! Yea we're alreading implementing that interface directly rather than the abstract class. We've extended one of the Atlassian events and then published it ourselves inside a task to try to create a notification task and I'm starting to think that's why we can't get the session to work.

We were able to get the NotificationRules fine when we were using the standard event that's fired at the end of a stage. Guess it's back to the drawing board unless anyone thinks what we've done should work too.

ContinuousDeliveryNotificationEvent extends the BuildCompletedEvent (somewhat arbitrarily) so I was kinda hoping it would just work with the existing notification framework.

Anyone believe this should work or know of another way we can access the NotificationRules from our EventListener (or task).

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Here's the code from our NotificationTask that publishes the event:

@Override
   public TaskResult execute(final TaskContext taskContext) {
      buildLogger = taskContext.getBuildLogger();
      BuildContext buildContext = taskContext.getBuildContext();
      Map&lt;String, String&gt; data = taskContext.getConfigurationMap();

ContinuousDeliveryNotificationEvent cdEvent = getContinuousDeliveryNotificationEvent(data.get(SELECTED_NOTIFICATION_KEY), buildContext);
eventManager.publishEvent(cdEvent);

return TaskResultBuilder.create(taskContext).success().build();
   }

0 votes
cartman12 April 17, 2013

Hey Matt,

What is the parent class for your listener. I found the HARD way that using HibernateEventListner as the parent interface instead of AbstractNotificationEventListner makes Brydie's suggestion work.

Rudy

0 votes
Matt Curtis April 17, 2013

Got exactly the same issue in Bamboo 4.4.3

As Rudy said I can see in the stack trace that the transactionTemplate wrapper is being used but I'm still getting the net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not initialize proxy error message.

Any suggestions for solutions/work arounds?

Thanks,

Matt

0 votes
cartman12 January 18, 2013

Hello,

I am having the same issue in Bamboo 4.3.1. I have injected the transactionTemlate into the Plugin and I can confirm from the stacktrace that it is being used. But, still the same error.

net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed
	at net.sf.hibernate.proxy.LazyInitializer.initialize(LazyInitializer.java:47)
	at net.sf.hibernate.proxy.LazyInitializer.initializeWrapExceptions(LazyInitializer.java:60)
	at net.sf.hibernate.proxy.LazyInitializer.getImplementation(LazyInitializer.java:164)
	at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:106)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
	at $Proxy67.getNotificationRules(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor665.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:154)
	at $Proxy162.getNotificationRules(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.bamboo.notification.AbstractNotificationEventListener.getNotificationRules(AbstractNotificationEventListener.java:73)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.hostcomponents.impl.DefaultComponentRegistrar$ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(DefaultComponentRegistrar.java:129)
	at $Proxy216.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor462.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.plugin.osgi.bridge.external.HostComponentFactoryBean$DynamicServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(HostComponentFactoryBean.java:154)
	at $Proxy216.doInTransaction(Unknown Source)
	at com.atlassian.sal.core.transaction.HostContextTransactionTemplate.execute(HostContextTransactionTemplate.java:21)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
	at $Proxy768.execute(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rudy

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events