HTTP Status 404 - /jira/ Error Comes after successful run-standalone cmd in atlassain sdk.

MANIKANDAN July 7, 2014

Im Getting the following page in my browser after successful completion of the

"atlas-run-standalone -product jira" cmd.

HTTP Status 404 - /jira/

type Status report

message /jira/

description The requested resource is not available.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.40

I have settle everything as per the procedure. my atlas-version

ATLAS Version:    5.0.3

ATLAS Home:       C:\Users\manikandan_mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk

ATLAS Scripts:    C:\Users\manikandan_mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk\bin

ATLAS Maven Home: C:\Users\manikandan_mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk\apache-maven-3.2.1

--------

Executing: "C:\Users\mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk\apache-maven-3.2.1\bin\m

vn.bat" --version -gs C:\Users\mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk\apache-maven-3

.2.1/conf/settings.xml

Apache Maven 3.2.1 (ea8b2b07643dbb1b84b6d16e1f08391b666bc1e9; 2014-02-14T23:07:5

2+05:30)

Maven home: C:\Users\mu\atlassian-plugin-sdk\apache-maven-3.2.1\bin\.

Java version: 1.6.0_32, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_32\jre

Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252

OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Dont know what im missing. Thanks in advance.

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Tom Cook November 7, 2018

I get this running with OpenJDK 11.  Installing Oracle JDK 8 fixes the problem (apparently because of the removal of the javax packages in JDK 9).

0 votes
Jens Goetz January 26, 2016

Hello Manikandan,

all of our Atlassian developers have the same problem for years. On every second JIRA start we get the described bug, which means that on every code change, we need to completely start JIRA two times (every start takes about 5 - 10 minutes), before we can test the code change.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2014

Could you read the log file - that will tell you whether it's starting up correctly, and if not, it will tell you why it's failing.

Jens Goetz January 26, 2016

No, it is not. There are no error messages. Not in the Atlassian logs or in the Tomcat logs...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

Then I have no idea how you've disabled all the logging in the application and tomcat.

That is probably easy to read as a bit sarcastic, it's not intended that way.  Whenever an Atlassian application appears to fail, there is always something in the application log to say "I've tried to start, but this went wrong:..", or lines in the tomcat log that say "I tried to start the application, but couldn't because:..."

Could you post the last bit of both logs showing the end of the startup routine and the subsequent errors?

Jens Goetz January 27, 2016

The strange thing is that JIRA starts normally with its common console messages:
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] INFO: Server startup in 204833 ms
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Tomcat 7.x started on port [2990]
[INFO] jira started successfully in 286s at http://localhost:2990/jira
[INFO] Type Ctrl-D to shutdown gracefully
[INFO] Type Ctrl-C to exit

, but it does not respond, when you try to open it within the browser. Instead, you get the described error message in the browser.

If we shut down JIRA with Ctrl-C and restart it with atlas-run, the restart produces the same console messages like the first start, but this time, JIRA responds, if you try to open it within the browser.

Jens Goetz January 27, 2016

I noticed one difference between the two starts. The start that produces the described error message in the browser, writes its messages to the console only, but not to a log file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2016

Sorry, what error in the browser?  And what errors are written to the console?

Jens Goetz January 28, 2016

Error in the browser:

HTTP Status 404 - /jira/

type Status report

message /jira/

description The requested resource is not available.

And no errors in the console ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2016

OK, JIRA is not being loaded by Tomcat.  Check the Tomcat logs, they will show why it's not loading it.  Or if not, then there's no JIRA there to start!

You read my comments, did you? There are no error messages - not in the logs or in the console.

But I share your thought that JIRA is not being loaded by Tomcat. What seems to be a bug is that JIRA or Tomcat print to console that JIRA is successfully started, when it is actually not:

And this occurs on every second call of atlas-run (start of JIRA), regardless if you did something before, for example, changing source code of your plugin, or not.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2016

Yes, but the only time you can get an error like that is after it writes to the log.

So, could you tail catalina.out (if it's there) and atlassian-jira.log?

I am at home now.

I will check for catalina.out tomorrow, when I am back at work. What I already tested was: I deleted all JIRA log files before calling atlas-run, and no JIRA log file was created after calling atlas-run. And this is strange, because all of the common JIRA messages that are usually written to the JIRA log files (atlassian-jira.log), are written to the console, ending with:

Therefore, I think that this is the reason for the described problem. JIRA tries to create and to write to the log files, but cannot create the log files for any reason.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2016

I think that's the catalina output, which does also catch the Atlassian log - in my dev system, there's no catalina.out (presumably because it's on screen), but I do get an atlassian-jira.log

Jens Goetz May 10, 2016

Sorry for my late reply.

I found out that neither atlassian-jira.log nor catalina.out is created. I wonder what is creating the messages that are written to the console, especially

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events