Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google analytics in the Atlassian SDK

vmpn November 3, 2011

What is this google analytics tracker error that I get when debuging bamboo plugin?

2109 [AnalyticsThread-1] ERROR com.dmurph.tracking.JGoogleAnalyticsTracker - Error making tracking request

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)

at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)

at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:258)

at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:317)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTPHeader(HttpClient.java:695)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:640)

at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.parseHTTP(HttpClient.java:660)

at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1195)

at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:379)

at com.dmurph.tracking.JGoogleAnalyticsTracker.dispatchRequest(JGoogleAnalyticsTracker.java:464)

at com.dmurph.tracking.JGoogleAnalyticsTracker.access$100(JGoogleAnalyticsTracker.java:76)

at com.dmurph.tracking.JGoogleAnalyticsTracker$1.run(JGoogleAnalyticsTracker.java:431)

Thank you

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Dumay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2011

Its mentioned in the SDK logs:

[INFO] Google Analytics Tracking is enabled to collect AMPS usage statistics.
[INFO] Although no personal information is sent, you may disable tracking by adding <allowGoogleTracking>false</allowGoogleTracking> to the amps plugin configuration in your pom.xml

Is this preventing you from running SDK commands?

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 6, 2011

@James Dumay: What sort of stats are being collected by AMPS? Is there a Confluence page that describes this and how to enable/disable it? In which version of AMPS was this added?

jnolen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2011

We added the Google Analytics in 3.6 (or maybe 3.6.1). We're recording (in aggregate) the number of times certain commands are executed, like "atlas-create-jira-plugin". This helps us know how the community is using the SDK and where we should focus our development effort.

vmpn November 7, 2011

Online mode behind firewall.

brainicorn
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2011

It was "officially" released in AMPS 3.6.2 and was included as a bullet in the release notes.

I'm going to add some more documentation around the specifics.

Currently, the tracker logs errors, but does not fail the build. The error given was due to a networking issue when trying to connect to google. Was this specific build run in offline mode or without a network connection to the outside world?

brainicorn
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2011

Maybe the firewall is the issue? If you keep getting the error in the log, I would just turn it off as stated above by adding

<allowGoogleTracking>false</allowGoogleTracking>

Under the configuration tag of the bamboo-amps-plugin

1 vote
Jan Hlavatý November 13, 2015

This is a creepy feature. It needs to be opt-in, not default.

brainicorn
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2015

It doesn't send any user information. It's just for tracking how many sdks are in use on various OSes.

Jan Hlavatý November 15, 2015

If it asked first, and told me what and why, I'd be much happer than now that I learn about it from the log that says it has sent something out to "google analytics". I don't expect my build scripts to send out anything, period.

0 votes
jnolen
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2011

I also filed this error here: https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/AMPS-632

0 votes
vmpn November 6, 2011

Among other messages I did not see this one. No it did not cause an issue, but it did appear that way as after displaying this exception maven took a while to progress to next step.

Thank you,

Vladimir

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events