Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast-Tracking Service Desk issues depending on component

brucebentley October 16, 2014

We're in the process of setting up an internal support service desk, and I'm running in to a brick wall while attempting to route issues.

What we're hoping to accomplish is this:

Scenario #1 -

1. Customer creates a new ticket with component of "System"
  2. This new ticket goes to a brief status of "OPEN".
    • For the "System" component, I have set the default assignee to 'Unassigned'
    • All tickets with 'Unassigned' should automatically route to a new status of "Waiting for Triage"
  3. This newly created ticket should fast-track to a status of "Waiting for Triage" until a member of the internal support team assigns it to the appropriate person.

Scenario #2 -

1. Customer creates a new ticket with a component of "IT Help"
  2. This new ticket goes to a brief status of "OPEN"
    • For the "IT Help" component, I have set the default assignee to "Component Lead" (which is me in this scenario)
    • All tickets with a component & a default assignee user should automatically route to a new status of "Assigned"
  3. This newly created ticket should fast-track to a status of "Assigned" so that the component lead can begin working on the issue.

The issue that I'm running into is that it's currently routing correctly on a 50/50 basis. Sometimes it doesn't update the status to Assigned & everything just sits in Waiting for Triage. Whereas I can open the same exact kind of ticket 2 minutes later, and it will automatically update the status to Assigned like we want it to.

In the included screenshot of the workflow mockup, I have 2 script workflow functions on the "OPEN" transition (after the Fire Event function) that read the following:

Workflow-Example.png

Condition: 			issue.components*.name.contains('System')
Action: 			Waiting For Triage
Additional Code: 	issueInputParameters.setAssigneeId('Unassigned')

(The thinking behind this is that if a ticket comes in with a component of "System" it should fast-track to the Waiting For Triage transition & the assignee should = Unassigned...)
Condition: 			! issue.components*.name.contains('MBO System')
Action: 			Assign
Additional Code:	(currently blank) 

(The thinking behind this is that if a ticket comes in with any component other than "System" it should fast-track to the Assign transition & the assignee should = whatever is set as the default assignee on the project component configuration...)

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you in advance.

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

> issueInputParameters.setAssigneeId('Unassigned') That won't do what you think it will. You need: issueInputParameters.setAssigneeId(null)

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2014

Your two conditions are not mutually exclusive. Are they supposed to be? At most only one fast-track should happen.

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2014

Hmm, I'm almost wondering if this would be something API should handle. Maybe the answer of the question here could help? https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/107630/jira-how-to-change-issue-status-via-rest

0 votes
brucebentley October 16, 2014

Even with conditions on each of the destination statuses, it is still 50/50. It's almost like the post-function steps process backwards randomly. These are currently the Post Functions for the "Create" transition:(in this order) 1. Creates the issue originally. 2. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database. 3. Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners. 4. Script workflow function : Fast-track transition an issue : If the condition is met the action 121 Waiting For Triage will be applied. (Code Block #1 above) 5. Script workflow function : Fast-track transition an issue : If the condition is met the action 11 Assign will be applied. (Code Block #2 above) Additionally, I've got the following condition in place on the "Waiting for Triage" transition: Script workflow function : The action will be allowed if the issue matches the JQL query: "project = SUPPORT AND component = "MBO System" AND assignee in (EMPTY)"

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2014

I was going to suggest the use of "Conditions" myself. But have you also tried to have this looking for a script, too? Assuming you're using "Misc Workflows Extensions" and/or ScriptRunner. Your If/Then statements can be much more robust.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events