Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message, X11FontManger

Craig Donahue July 14, 2013

FishEye : You are running release FE3.0.2 (20130702014905 2013-07-02), please report your release number when reporting bugs.

When I click on a piece of source code, in FishEye I get:

An error has occurred

Error
Server Error
Error 2
A java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError was encountered

Could not initialize class sun.awt.X11FontManager
in a pop of error box and can not continue
I'm running at the client side, Ubuntu, 12.04 LTS with Firefox 22.0 if that matters. Server side is Redhat 6.2 with Jave 7.
The source code I am clicking on has this name

NWEMValidationManager.java

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Zanzi Lan January 31, 2014

Hello, sorry for digging up this old thread; it was the top result for the problem we've apparently had for a long, long time. Somewhere around December 2013, this problem started popping up for us.

Our set-up:

• Arch Linux (100% up-to date)
  • Latest OpenJDK (jre7-openjdk)
  • Confluence 5.1.3

We would consistently get the following stack traces:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at sun.awt.X11FontManager.getDefaultPlatformFont(X11FontManager.java:779)
        at sun.font.SunFontManager$2.run(SunFontManager.java:432)

followed by these log entries:

javax.servlet.forward.request_uri: /plugins/servlet/confluence/placeholder/macro
javax.servlet.forward.context_path:
javax.servlet.forward.servlet_path: /plugins/servlet
javax.servlet.forward.path_info: /500page.jsp

Symptoms: couldn't get any macro to render inside the editor, no matter what. Adding macro's to a page would result in the editor locking up, being unable to click the save button (or anything else, for that matter).

Solution: On Arch, installed the ttf-dejavu package. This has no immediate dependency on X itself, just the font manager. Don't panic. :)

On CentOS, verify the installed fonts on your system by running 'fc-list'. You can install 'dejavu-fonts' or 'dejavu-sans-fonts'.

Restart Confluence, test it.

0 votes
Craig Donahue July 15, 2013

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, the ability to install the fonts is not an option at this time as I am a regular user on the box running fisheye and java from my home directory. If there is a way to make the fonts accessible as a non- priv user I'm open to suggestions. Most of our boxes do not have X installed which I assume is part of the problem and installing X is not an option.

v/r

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2013

Hi there,

Also you can install the font package:

yum install dejavu-sans-fonts

Regards.

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2013

Hi Craig,

This problem is usually related to your Java installation. Looks like some Java fonts are missing.

I'm not sure if that's your case, but please note that OpenJDK is not a supported Java version:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Supported+platforms

Could you please check that your "Java 7" is an Oracle JDK instead of OpenJDK in server side?

Running "java -version" should show you what exactly is the Java installation.

Also, this KB article may be useful:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHKB/Missing+JAVA+fonts

I hope it helps!

Craig Donahue July 15, 2013

Hi. I am running Oracle Java 1.7

java version "1.7.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode) i

Installed in my home dir (not a system wide install from file: jre-7u25-linux-i586.gz that I downloaded today from Oracle. JAVA_HOME and path to java bin are set.

Headless option is set to true in fisheye start script.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events