cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit groups in transition

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to hand over a single project to a team leader, and would like to make them an account where they can manage users and user groups. I've researched and apparently its not possible to do this through the permissions or any other method.. So is it possible through a workflow? perhaps have a Issue Edit User, with a transition allowing the Admin to add existing users into groups?

I really do not want to give full JIRA-Admin rights to a single user and would love if maybe this could work..

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2015

Correct, groups are maintained at an admin level.

There is a very simple way to delegate the effective user management though.  Stop trying to do it with groups and use roles instead.  Your project admins can maintain who is in a role on a project-by-project basis.

If you really need to maintain users and groups, then yes, you could construct workflows for handling it, but you'll need code (in post functions) that deliberately bypasses the security for the admins, and you'll need to be careful not to break the security (e.g. don't let your project admins put people in the admin groups)

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2015

Would a Project Admin without JIRA-Admin rights be able to see and add people to these roles? Sorry I've never really used roles so my knowledge is limited on them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2015

Yes, that's exactly what roles are for - delegating "who can do what in my project" to the project owners Whilst an admin has to set up roles globally (Jira ships with admin, users and developers - I often add "testers" and "authorisers") and set the permission schemes up to use them, once they've done that, the project-admins can put whoever they like in the roles in their projects.

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2015

And where do they manage the users in those Roles as project admins, under the same options as Administration > User Management > Roles?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2015

No. User management is the System level admin section. For Projects, you go into the project admin screen for that project. Same way that a project admin has the right to maintain versions and components, they have the right to maintain users and groups in roles.

Junaid Shah
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2015

Okay thank you!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events