Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse code out of sync during remote debugging of Jira plugins

Fabian Gautschi September 4, 2015

Hi

I ran into a weird issue. I have set up the remote debug target in Eclipse (Mars) according to the instructions of the developer.atlassian tutorial. Now, when I start remote debugging, it successfully connects to my local JIRA distribution. However, when I want to debug through my Java code, i.e. step over, the debugger seems to execute another code than visible in the code editor. It skips lines which I am sure they have to be executed, it stops at comments and so on. Somehow the code being executed is out of sync with the server. Cleaning, refreshing and rebuilding does not solve the problem.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run the atlas-debug command
  2. Navigate to local JIRA distribution in web browser
  3. Wait until page is fully loaded
  4. Start remote debugger in Eclipse
  5. Set breakpoint(s) in Eclipse
  6. Go to Plugin page, i.e. Servlet plugin
  7. Try to step over/step into --> Debugger jumps randomly around

Help would be much appreciated

Fabian

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Gautschi September 7, 2015

Hi Tomasz Thanks for your reply. There problem was a different one: By default, the remote debugger in eclipse that I had to configure hat a wrong souce look up path configured in the Source tab. Cheers

1 vote
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2015

Did you run atlas-mvn eclipse:eclipse?

Fabian Gautschi September 7, 2015

Thanks for your reply, see my resolution above

1 vote
Tomasz Stec
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2015

Hi,
Firstly, make sure the code you are looking at in eclipse is exacltly the same taken for compilation during atlas-debug. I recomend:

1. save all files in eclipse,
  2. stop JIRA,
  3. execute atlas-clean
  4. and again start it using atlas-debug.

Secondly, i am not an expert but i would check if your eclipse Mars and JIRA (atlas-debug) is using the same version of JVM. For instance you could pass an extra parameter in options.ini file of your Mars such:

-vm
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.8.XXX/bin

but your system environment Path variable points to a different (i.e older) one:
Path=C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.7.XXX/bin
Then you might suffer behviour you described.

Cheers

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events