Does Jira provide a view or report that show Issue history changes for multiple issues?

grant luna February 21, 2012

Does Jira provide a view or report that show Issue history changes for multiple issues?

Example.

orginal storypoint estimate vs. current storypoint estimate

orginal fix version vs. current fix version

etc...

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2012
I agree with Beth that there is no out of the box solution in Jira itself. But Jira is very flexible and you might consider the new scripted custom field provided by the Groovy Script Runner to provide the information you need.The script would just scan through the issue change history, which you can retrieved using the method http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/issue/changehistory/ChangeHistoryManager.html#getAllChangeItems(com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue) The first entry matching your field, like fix version, would give you the initial value by calling getFroms().toString(). just return that from the script and you have got a custom field containing the first value in the change history of your field. Just include this scripted field in your filter and you are done. Maybe for performance reasons it might be better to look out for a calculated custom field implementation some day
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2012

Rather predictably, I think this is a great idea. You could do a "storypoint delta" custom field which is the difference between original and current values, or show the original version of any field.

Probably be better if JQL was more flexible about the columns it could show, and you could do derived or calculated columns...

> Maybe for performance reasons it might be better to look out for a calculated custom field implementation some day

I'm not convinced that it would be any faster... under the covers the scripted field is a calculated custom field. There is a one-time hit for script compilation, but that only happens once per script per jira restart.

Like Bappaditya Roy likes this
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2012
Yes, the scripted custom field opens endless possibilites :)
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2012

We use a custom scripted field to calculate the buffered effort between a high and low estimation range. While I think there is a performance hit that comes with the addition of every custom field, we haven't seen anything spectacularly damaging to performance with the add-in of this scripted field.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2012
I'm glad to hear you and Jamie don't see a significant decrease in performance by using scripted custom fields. I do not use scripted fields yet im production and just was alerted a bit by the weak performance we had with some script based conditions some time ago
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2012

The thing about conditions is that they are evaluated 3 times whenever you view an issue. Why 3 and not 1 is a bug in jira imho. So if you have an expensive condition then that's going to hurt, although I think it would be more or less the same if you wrote the condition as a java plugin. I say more or less because there is an overhead in calling groovy classes from java and vice versa, but it's so small compared to the impact of jdbc or Lucene as to be diminishing to zero.

1 vote
Terry Hwang July 20, 2017

As I know JIRA doesn't support history printing or export. Good news is that there is a free add-on supports history printing of issues. Check it out the plug-in features.

1 vote
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2012

I don't think it does so out of the box. To access the default reports, you can go to Projects (tab)> Reports (right side top of app). There are a number of plug-ins, though, that might support your needs. Search here https://plugins.atlassian.com on "reports".

A manual work-around to get the info that you need is to take a baseline export on the first day of your iteration/ version, and compare exports as you progress.

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2015

The SQL for JIRA plugin supports it out-of-the-box smile

0 votes
Timmy March 11, 2014

Is there any way to get all the initials values of all fields of issue when issues was created. We have history tab, but that does'nt give us the original values.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2014

If the value has not changed in the history, then the current value is the original value. You can also take the current set of values and revert all the changes in the history tab to get the original values

Timmy March 12, 2014

Thanks Matt, :-)

I am wondering why JIRA has not provided any direct API for that?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events