Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Development Documentation and Support Issues

Michael Bostwick January 17, 2014

I have been doing more and more work with Confluence download version, however, the gaps between what can be done with SOAP vs JSON, and the documentation indicating SOAP is deprecated makes development work seem precarious (developers can't do everything with JSON (and the API's are still just prototypes..) and SOAP is going away..)...

Is the recommended approach to just write code that uses the 2 formats ? To not program using the web API's and instead use java plug-ins? I'm confused by the maturity of the development resources, especially compared to JIRA which is very mature .

I don't want to rant or complain, I'm asking to understand what others may be doing or what the best approach is ?

----edit based on response---
Is there a timeline or an expectation for when atlassian plans to fix this issue and make doing dev work with out custom plug ins possible ?

Part of the issue for me is that the administrator and developers are different for our instance of Confluence, and there are different development groups as well..While the groups do of course work together to solve the problem this slows down the entire process, requires java development, and a whole mess of other things(i.e you can't just use the api and go, you have to go into making an entire plug in..)

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2014

The gaps are certainly annoying (f.e. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/60088/what-is-the-format-of-queries-for-search-in-the-confluence-rest-api/60290and https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/275323/how-to-get-the-creator-of-an-attachment-using-confluence-rest-api...); Atlassian will probably say that you're supposed to report them to JAC, leave comments and vote.

They plan to replace all old APIs with new REST one (introduced in 5.5); it's probably safe to say that you're better off writing custom plugins in next 12 months until they polish new API.

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2014

Hi Michael,

That's right, if you're developing for a download version of Confluence, developers mostly create java plugins that expose the REST API they want.

Those plugins can't work on OnDemand or if you don't own the Confluence server. Alternatively, people who just do scripting can use Swift's Confluence CLI which I assume wraps the APIs nicely.

Cheers,

Adrien

Michael Bostwick January 17, 2014

I don't mean to change my question, but is there a timeline or an expectation for when atlassian plans to fix it and make doing dev work with out custom plug ins possible ?

Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2014

Hi Michael, I don't work at Atlassian so I can't give an official answer. Do feel free to change your question, however ;)

API stability has been a big theme for JIRA. In version 5.x, they've introducted annotations like @PublicApi. To my knowledge, the market for Confluence is different than for JIRA.

As said, it's possible to use a Java plugin for most developers, so the demand for stable REST apis probably isn't strong. What's your situation? Are you working with an OnDemand instance?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events