Compare two issues

Daniel_90 August 31, 2015

Hi there,

I am planning to develop a plugin that is able to compare two issues.  I will describe my idea on a very basic level: The goal is to have a listbox in a velocity template where you can select issue 1 and issue 2. As soon as you have these two issues selected they are displayed in the screen and compared. Comparison is made with colours. So if field x of issue 1 has the same value as field x of issue 2 the two fields are being displayed in green. If not in red. Currently I have a lot of questions concerning my plan: 1) How would you pursue? 2) How can I display data of an issue in a velocity template 3) How can I implement the list box selecter? Do I need JQL in my plugin?

Thanks for answering (if you need further information to answer my question just text me)

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Support NEOFI April 21, 2017

Would be nice to have this kind of plugin but that links issues that have the same field...

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

Hi Daniel,

1) Add menu entry. Probably to Issues section. Please google how to create JIRA "web-item" plugin module.

2) Add webwork plugin module. Again please search how to create webwork module. I guess it would be nice to show "Select 2 issues dialog" when you click the menu entry, so I recommend that you menu entry triggers "Yourwebwork!default.jspa?decorator=dialog" and dialog body is returned and showed.

3) For selecting issues I recommend to have "issue picker" fields instead of lselectboxes. It will be much convenient. Look to "Link issue" screen for issue picker sample.

4) Once issues are selected, the "Compare" button posts the form back to your webwork, but this time to "execute" action method, so URL should be: Yourwebwork.jspa

5) Only validations are non-empty valid issues keys, and if they are fine you locate issues (you can use one of getIssue methods from IssueService), compare them field by field and put results of comparison to sorted map like: Map<String, FieldCompareResult> where field name is key and FieldCompareResult is some wrapper class with "are equal" flag, value1 and value2 fields.

6) Finally the webwork renders comparison page and there you can use 2 css styles to show red or green background.

It looks like challenging as for the first plugin. So be patient and good luck!

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

1.) Get the issue details via JIRA REST API (jiracli for me CSV format)

2.) Get an open source diff viewer and apply the logic to the vm file.

3.) Read Atlassian documentations on how to create JIRA Plugins that allows me to display a button and list boxes (JIRA AUI)

David Gordon August 21, 2017

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Regards

Dave

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events