Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Check out a Git tag in Bamboo

Is it possible to create a Bamboo build plan that pulls from a Git repo and then check out a specific tag? I don't see any facility for doing so but I may just be missing something obvious...

Thanks!

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

How about specifing your tag in the "Source Repository -> Git -> Branch" field? In the plan configuration? Or maybe specyfing whole ref like "refs/tags/myTag-1.5.6"... Is that doing the trick?

I remember that was working long time ago, somewhere around Bamboo 3.x version...

Unfortunately, that's not an option if your source repository type is set to 'GitHub' - there is only a pre-populated menu of branches that the remote repo knows about and no facility for entering a tag (either by name or ref).

I can work around it by pulling from the repository as I normally would and then adding a build step that explicitly executes 'git checkout <tag_name>', but that seems... inelegant, especially in the situation where you want to recreate a build from a particular point in time (e.g. for regressing bugs); normally, I'd want to just build from the master branch.

I guess I was hoping there might be more "native" support for tags... :)

Ah I see... Then indeed, the "native" GitHub repository in Bamboo doesn't detect and support git tags. Though technically it shouldn't be very hard to implement (I'm speaking from a position of a person who had touched the relevant source code in Bamboo).

If you would like to see the support for tags in the GH repository type in Bamboo I would suggest you one of following:

1) hack the bamboo-git-plugin to retrieve from GH also tags

2) raise a 'feature improvement' issue on http://jira.atlassian.com (in the Bamboo project)

I'm not sue which solutions is more feasible. Anyway, if you need help with one or another - please yell :)

regards,

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you