Can't use script tag in user macros

Stuart Bennett November 16, 2011

Hi,

Does anyone know how you can include an externally hosted javascript file from a user macro?

I am finding that the <script> tag completely kills the user macro.

All I want to be able to do is include a standalone javascript file like:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/some/directory/someFile.js">

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

8 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Musselwhite November 16, 2011

Found the answer!!

User macros die when you do something as follows:

<script type="text/javascript" src="src.js"></script>

If you include the script tags with a newline before the start and end it fixes it, example:

<script type="text/javascript" src="src.js">

</script>

Hope this helps!

THAT'S THE SOLUTION!

If only Atlassian support could have told me that.

Looks like a strange bug in version 4.0. Previous versions didn't have this issue.

Like Tim Eddelbüttel likes this
Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2013

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having a similar issue and this doesn't work for me.

When I put some JS between two <script> tags it gets mangled with some "//<![CDATA[" tags (even when I put in an extra line as you suggest. Does the above solution still work for you? (I'm trying to implement a Twitter feed and the Widget Connector's not working.)

Simon Tost _TNG_ April 17, 2019

Probably only of limited use, but scripted user macros from ScriptRunner for Confluence have no such issues.

1 vote
Sandro Herrmann [Communardo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2011

Hello,

you can append the needed Javascript and css via the Global Administration -> Custom HTML -> "At the end of the BODY".

I know with this way you split your usermacro code apart but it works. :)

I would only want the javascript file to be loaded when the macro is inserted on a page. Thanks though.

1 vote
Oli S
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2011

The correct way is to register your javascript in you atlassian-plugin.xml file as resource and "inlcude" this resource in your velocity file.

Atlassian Documenation:Including Javascript and CSS resources

This is the way, I do it every time ;-)

Ok, thanks anyway. You got my hopes up then.

Oli S
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2011

Oh now I read, that you wrote an user macro, than my answer doesn't fir your needs, sorry

0 votes
Guillaume Guillaume January 13, 2014

Thank you so much Ryan, your solution worked for me too, on Confluence 4.2.8.

0 votes

Also I tried adding jus

0 votes

Yes, the script include does appear to work because the javascript file is loaded, but then the rest of the macro fails after that point. I have even tested including a blank javascript file and that also broke the macro.

0 votes
Ryan Musselwhite November 16, 2011

I am having issues with this as well. I had a ticket open but Atlassian said as it's custom they cannot provide support.

It appears to break all content after the <script> tags.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events