Can't import xml diagram to confluence plugin

For some reason I'm having trouble exporting a diagram I made on into the confluence plugin. As I understand it, I should be able to

1. Export to xml from
  2. Go to the plugin, choose import on a new drawing
  3. Choose the exported xml file and get the drawing imported to the plugin.

The exported xml opens fine if I open it on draw io, but doesn't seem to do anything on the plugin. After I choose the file, the dialog window goes blank and nothing happens. This is the version from the plugin: plugin v

Am I missing a step?

4 answers

It seems that the import for a XML is broken, but a colleague found another way to do get an existing diagram into the confluence plugin:

1. Export the file as XML (I did not compress it, so I don't know if a compressed xml will work).
  2. Create a new page in confluence.
  3. Attach your xml to the page ( see
  4. Edit the attachment properties and change the type to application/drawio (see
  5. Editing the same page, insert a macro. The XML you attached will appear as an option. Choose it to edit it, then save it. This will put the drawing on the page.

It's kind of a roundabout way to get the drawing into a confluence page, but it works.

Thank you for this Workaround, it works ;-)

There is a fix in for this issue.

I have and I still have this issue.

Could you submit this as a ticket to, including the imported diagram please?

same Problem in Version:7.3.1

Please everyone submit issues to, saying "me too" doesn't tell us anything. We need exact reproduction cases.

Ran into this issue as well. Compressed definitely doesn't work.

If you have a drawing with multiple tabs, you don't get the option to export as "uncompressed" therefore you cannot import it into Atlassian (Confluence/Diagramly or JIRA Drawio).

Once I split it up into separate drawings and exported as uncompressed, I was able to make it work.

Ensure you're on the latest release in Confluence, since pages only went in very recently. I just tested importing a multiple page diagram from online to for Confluence Server and it works correctly.

1. Insert a diagram
  2. Choose the "Create" option with a Blank diagram
  3. From the resulting editor, go to FIle>Import to upload the XML file from your local machine. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Posted Thursday in Off-topic

Friday Fun: What's your favourite beer/drink

As a Belgian, beer-lover and home brewer, beer is one of my great passions. I love the fact that with just a few ingredients (usually just water, hop and malt) you can create so many different tastes...

315 views 38 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot