Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a user print multiple pages or entire space to PDF without having to be space administrator?

Deleted user March 17, 2013

I would like to know wether only space administrators are able to print multiple pages to PDF or the entire space? I would like users to be able to print multiple pages (or the entire space), but without them being able to edit the pages and without them being able to grant themselves other space permissions. Can this be done, and if so, how?

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

You need to give them the Export Space permission. As a side question, I'd be interested to know if there are any reasons not to give all users this permission.

Deleted user March 18, 2013

Ok thanks for answering Stefan and Jamie. That was helpful.

To go back to your comment Jamie:
I need to give them the export space permission. Clear. So do I understand you correctly when I say that they DON'T need to be a space administrator to be able to have the export space permission?

Deleted user March 18, 2013

Great, thanks!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2013

correct.....

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2013

@Jamie - we restrict the "export space" permission on confluence.atlassian.com because exporting some spaces can kill the server due to the memory-intensive requirements of PDF generation.

Deleted user March 24, 2013

@ Joseph, in which way is the "export space" permission restricted exactly? I am looking to export multiple pages or even an entire space. I want anonymous users to be able to do this.

I have read before that generating a PDF of multiple pages can significantly slow down the server, but is that also the case when you're running a downloaded license on your own server? Your input will be very much appreciated.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2013

Thanks @Joseph... but for a typical AOD space with < 50 pages, it sounds like it's not a concern to add "all users" to have permission to do an export...?

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2013

@ Eva - Controlling who can and cannot export pages to PDF is controlled via the space permissions page by a space administrator. There is a separate "Export"permission that can be turned on/off for individual users and groups. More details are here:

If you are hosting your own server, yes you will need to at least consider the performance impact of PDF generation. This would mostly be influenced by the size of the spaces being expored. For example, as Jamie says, a space with 50 pages is probably fine. A site like confluence.atlassian.com that has spaces with hundreds and thousands of pages can have real problems with lots of PDF generation going on.

0 votes
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

The (commercial) Scroll PDF Exporter plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.k15t.scroll.scroll-pdf), which let's users define what pages to export.

Cheers,
-Stefan (maker of the Scroll PDF plugin)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events