Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burndown chart shows a red horizontal line

Shradha Singh June 12, 2016

Hi Experts!

I would like to understand when does a Red horizontal line appear in BurnDown Chart, with following Scrum Board configurations:

Estimations statistics: Story Points

Time Tracking: Remaining Estimate and Time spent

As per my understanding, assignee/any other person should log work (value against remaining estimate field) regularly and on completion it should be set as 0m, in order to get a correct Burn Down chart.

If assignee is not filling the value of remaining estimate and simply closing issue without entering 0, then 'Actual tasks Remaining' line i.e. Red Line will become horizontal. 

Please suggest, is this understanding correct.

Regards
Shradha 

5 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Anil K October 4, 2018

After checking all details, I noticed that one of our developers had logged work, and while doing that he had inadvertently updated the work start date to a future date in the log work screen. This has caused the issue. Once we corrected the worklog, the burndown chart became normal. Anyone who faces similar issue may want to check on this.

0 votes
Anil K October 3, 2018

I have facing the exact issue; suddenly today we noticed this horizontal red line in the burndown. Interestingly, this is happening only for 1 of our projects,  and other 6 projects are working fine. All projects have the same settings, so not sure what happened to this one project all of a sudden. We also noticed that the burndown runs till almost 2 weeks beyond the scheduled sprint end date; and this is also something that happened only today. I tried integrity check and re-indexing the project and entire system level. But no use. Any suggestions?

0 votes
Shradha Singh June 20, 2016

Hi Andrea,

Actually a strange thing is happening with Scrum board/Burndown Chart users in team. Everything was fine till friday and Burndown chart was a nice step down graph. Suddenly something happened on Monday morning and Red line got converted into a flat horizontal line. This is really strange. I am unable to figure out the possible reason for this sudden Red horizontal line. There is a post function at the Accepted and Void transition which sets 'remaining estimate' field to 0 on 'Accepted' or 'Void' transition. But in any case whenever is issue is completed (Accepted/Void), user also manually fills 'remaining estimate' to 0. So it should not be the reason.

Original estimates are being added before sprint start however during active sprint , issues are added in the sprint.

Can you suggest some pointer why this happened.

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

Are you adding original estimate before the sprint starts?  If not, your chart line will be flat since the baseline is 0.

0 votes
Shradha Singh June 13, 2016

One more point I would like to add. If an issue is completed and if assignee/user does not manually update the 'Remaining estimate' field, then on Burndown chart, 'Remaining Time Estimate' Desc. field is blank. It does not automatically update 'Remaining Estimate' field value to 0m. Snapshot attached.burndown-1.png

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events