Build Error in JIRA plugin tutorial

Ben Bramson February 13, 2017

https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/getting-started/learn-the-development-platform-by-example/run-your-plugin-in-the-container

I'm trying to work my way through the tutorial online.

I get through the part where they have you check the plugin in refapp and everything works fine, but I'm stuck when trying to load it in JIRA. When I run 

atlas-run --product jira --version 6.1

it goes through the full setup, and the last lines say "JIRA started successfully..." So, I try to log into JIRA and it tells me that 19 plugins are required but failed to start.

So, going back to the terminal I see a section that says JIRA startup failed, JIRA has been locked. I also see quite a few lines that look like this:

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]  'com.atlassian.jira.jira-application-properties-plugin' - 'Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Application Properties'  failed to load.

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   The plugin has been disabled.  A likely cause is that it timed out during initialisation

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]   It was loaded from /Users/benbramson/JIRA/atlastutorial/adminUI/target/jira/home/plugins/.bundled-plugins/jira-application-properties-plugin-6.1.jar

Does anyone have any advice on where to look? I've tried to redo the entire project, thinking it was possible that I made a stupid mistake somewhere but that doesn't seem to have helped. 

2 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
jacob delddd July 4, 2018

jira 6.1 is an old version, wich doesn't get supported with java 1.8.

Try atlas-run-standalone --product jira --version 7.3.7

jacob delddd July 6, 2018

*atlas-run --product jira --version 7.3.7

Даниел Русинов October 29, 2018

You are my savior, man!

0 votes
Victor February 13, 2017

I started not so long ago with JIRA development and I know how frustrating can this type of erros be. The error message won't help, it's way too generic and far away of the actual problem. I have spent hours reading the logs. If you check earlier in the logs, you may find something that contains a hint about the actual problem. Anyway, usually this kind of errors are because of a bad integration of the components you are defining in your pom.xml and atlassian-plugin.xml.

In this situation, I suspect that the plugin ecosystem you have built is not consistent. Did the previous tutorials work for you? Maybe you are not following a proper flow. I would start by this other tutorial:

https://developer.atlassian.com/docs/getting-started/set-up-the-atlassian-plugin-sdk-and-build-a-project/create-a-helloworld-plugin-project

You will eventually reach the point where the "learn by example" is the next step. Let's see what happens then.

And as advice, do not copy/paste anything, type it yourself and try to understand everything you are typing, google for any concept you don't know about. You will have to spend some extra time at each step but that will later become knowledge.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events