Basic Auth JIRA's Rest API ( with SSO enabled)

I try to access the JIRA Rest API with basic auth.

But apperently it always wants an OAuth authentication and it seems like that it also requires the SSO cookies.

I would just like to make some localhost calls to my JIRA instance and basic auth would be the easiet way to do it.

I tried "?os_authType=basic" already, but none of my valid login credentials work ( Admin, dedicated auth user, .. )

If I do the same request in the same browser without basic, I can access it ( because of SSO )

Currently I just get an 401 sad

Am I misunderstanding something here ? - Do I have to use SSO ? - and if so, how would I do it?

I could get already the session token via the crowd rest api. What would I do next?

OAuth seems too complex for this simple approach ( I mean it's a php script on the same, local server )

Thanks for any help wink

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

You can still use basic auth with the REST API, do not have to use OAuth just because you have SSO enabled. Just make sure you can do all the operations you are doing in the REST API by logging into JIRA using that same user.

An admin might not have all access in JIRA. For eg: creating issues might be restricted to a certain groups of users only.

The problem is, I use Okta SSO which is genuine SSO - one (Okta) page for login to all apps, so I cannot change my JIRA password because I don't know what it is, and therefore I can't use Basic Auth on JIRA because I don't know what my password is. Can you help me?

Robin, I'm also facing the same issue as you described earlier.. Any suggestions on this please.. Also please post here if you have any alternative references to this item.

-Ram

Hello Guys, any suggestions on this. have you figured this out ?

Oh damn.
Turns out I hadn't the proper permissions ( Global permission ) and the password wasn't escaped properly.

Thanks for the assist wink

/solved

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in United States

Confluence Security Advisory

Good morning Members, Not sure if you are aware. Please read the following: https://www.icloud.com/keynote/0RyJ4VEdNUpjDpGfMhfZx9fEg#Confluence_Security_Advisor More details: https://co...

43 views 1 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you