Bamboo Agents' Workspaces (disk space problem)

Marco Baldelli September 28, 2016

Hi there,
we're experiencing some troubles about Bamboo eating up a huge part of the disk: this often ends with "No space left on device" error.

I used to think that the only working directories were the ones in xml-data/build-dir/JOB_KEY, but we eventually found out that in the same directory Bamboo also handles Agents' Workspaces directories named after the Agent ID. In those directories we find two types of folders

1) copies of the Jobs that Agent has worked / is working on
2) directories named in the form "17891331-17956868" that contain deploy hierarchy for a given Project (Deploy Plan working directories?)

One of our Projects has a very large repo and several Jobs: sometimes, when we run that build, we can see available disk space decreases really fast in a very short time! How can we optimize this behaviour?

We wrote a little script that parses the Agents' Workspaces folders and cleans them up following date/time rules (e.g.: older than four hours), but my question is: is it safe to delete those folders? Are they meant to be only working directories, for both Build and Deploy Plans? And is there any way to make all Agents point to a single directory?

Thanks,
Marco 

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2016

It's not safe to share same work dir folder for different local agents, so you can't configure them that way.

It's totally safe to cleanup working dir of agents after job complete or deployment finished

0 votes
Marco Baldelli October 7, 2016

Yes, I'm using only local agents to do that. 
I have two types of build plans: for each project, I have one dedicated to continuous integration and another one to releases. At the moment, on CI's jobs only, I enabled the Bamboo cleanup at the end of the build and on top of that the script I was talking about is up and running.

I still have a few doubts on the other folders, the deploy ones, about how they are used (if so) after the deploy: I've found nothing on the docs about them, do you know anything that could shed some light?

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2016

Hello Marco,

What is your agents topology? Do you use local agents to run jobs?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events