Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication for custom Crowd REST plugin module resources

Rafal Habrat October 27, 2011

I've added some new REST resources to Crowd through the REST plugin module. I'm having trouble authenticating when invoking those resources.

I've tried authenticating using BASIC authentication and providing credentials of one of the applications I have defined in Crowd - this did not work. This method only worked for the built-in Crowd REST API.

I've tried BASIC authentication with credentials of a user defined in Crowd both with and without "?os_authType=basic" - none of those attempts worked

What am I missing?

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rafal Habrat October 31, 2011

I was sort of able to find the answer to my question. Since Atlassian is using the REST plugin module themselves to implement the built-in REST API for Crowd, I was able to find some clues by looking at the source.

It turns out that all of the REST exposed methods are actually marked as @AnonymousAllowed which would seem to imply that you do not need to authenticate at all to call these. That is not the case however because there is a ServletFilter in place that is enforcing the BASIC authentication on all resources deployed at /rest/usermanagement/*. I wish Crowd Development documentation explained those things.

My workaround to get the same authentication scheme, as the built-in REST API uses, applied to my custom resources is to deploy them under /usermanagement by specifying that in my atlassian-plugin.xml for the <rest> module.

I was unable to get the authentication working when my resources were deployed to a different URL as the implementation class (BasicApplicationAuthenticationFilter) for the filter is not exported in any of the OSGI bundles and thus I couldn't use it in my plugin to apply that filter to a different URL.

I'm not sure if there is a way to not use the @AnonymousAllowed on the custom REST extensions and successfully authenticate to Crowd - I was unable to get it working...

Hope this helps someone...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events