Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach file trough REST API

Stefan Dinev March 17, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to upload a file through jira's REST API. I am using my own java REST client based on jersey and json parser.

How do I construct json query for REST API?

REST resource: issue/"issueKey"/attachments

It should be something like in the following example: {"fields":{"attachment":{"filename":"filename"}}}

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014
Stefan Dinev March 17, 2014

It gave me a glue, but I still do not know how to implement it with jersey.

I have just found this article:http://examples.javacodegeeks.com/enterprise-java/rest/jersey/jersey-file-upload-example/

Thanks a lot :)

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

So do you need any more help ?

Stefan Dinev March 19, 2014

Yes, I do need such help.

So, I created a servlet (tomcat7) with a html form, where users could create issues and upload files.

Part filePart = request.getPart("attachment_field");

String filename = getFilename(filePart);

String authBase64 = new String(Base64.encode(jiraUser+":"+jiraPass));

MultiPart multiPartInput = new MultiPart();

BodyPart bp = new BodyPart(filePart.getInputStream(), MediaType.APPLICATION_OCTET_STREAM_TYPE);

FormDataContentDisposition.FormDataContentDispositionBuilder dispositionBuilder = FormDataContentDisposition.name(FILE_ATTACHMENT_CONTROL_NAME);

dispositionBuilder.fileName(filename);

FormDataContentDisposition formDataContentDisposition = dispositionBuilder.build();

bp.setContentDisposition(formDataContentDisposition);

multiPartInput.bodyPart(bp);

Client clientAtt = Client.create();

WebResource attachmentsResource = clientAtt.resource("http://jira/jira/issue/"+issueKey+"/attachments");

WebResource.Builder builder = attachmentsResource.type(MultiPartMediaTypes.createFormData());

builder.header("Authorization", "Basic " + authBase64);

builder.header("X-Atlassian-Token", "nocheck");

builder.post(multiPartInput);

ERROR that I got:

com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body writer for Java type, class com.sun.jersey.multipart.MultiPart, and MIME media type, multipart/form-data; boundary=Boundary_1_795431812_1395317246600, was not found

Caused by: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body writer for Java type, class com.sun.jersey.multipart.MultiPart, and MIME media type, multipart/form-data; boundary=Boundary_1_795431812_1395317246600, was not found

My problem is that I do not know how to fix this.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2014

You can see complete example from the jira-rest-java-client - here's a link to the source code. You can checkout it and use it for reference. Use the addAttachment method as a starting point :).

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jira-rest-java-client/src/7bceaef5b27c36ac7e69e178e9178095034d62ca/core/src/main/java/com/atlassian/jira/rest/client/internal/async/AsynchronousIssueRestClient.java

Stefan Dinev March 19, 2014

The example is very good, but the client is based on other library. I want to use jersey.

I found this example - https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-rest-java-client/0.5-m6/xref/com/atlassian/jira/rest/client/internal/jersey/JerseyIssueRestClient.html

I am susspecting that I have to use earlier version of jersey-multipart jar, but at the moment I can not say something more.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2014

Have you tried initializing the client as follows:

Client client = ClientBuilder.newBuilder()
            .register(MultiPartFeature.class)
            .build();

Which version of jeresey are you on ?

Stefan Dinev March 21, 2014

I managed to resolve the problem by adding some configuration to the client:

ClientConfig cc = new DefaultClientConfig();
cc.getClasses().add(MultiPartWriter.class);
Client clientAtt = Client.create(cc);

Thank you for your help.

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2014

Great! If my answer helped you please mark it as accepted.

Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events