Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API authentication using the post method

Staffan Nilsson December 2, 2013

I'm trying to understand how to create a login session using the REST API with the /rest/auth/1/session POST method. My goal is to open a session and to keep it open using the cookie header in subsequent calls. Note that I am trying to use .NET and C# for this.

Unfortunatly I haven't found enough information for me to understand how to do this. I did find the reference: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/6.1.4/ but I do not understand enough how to do it. Can someone please explain?

I have been able to use basic authentication but I want to use the cookie method (need to save the login info betwen program ivocations and don't want to save the username&password combination - I'd rather save and reuse the session cookie). Please note that I'm more at home with programming embedded microcontrollers so please explain in detail :)

6 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aleksander Mierzwicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2013

I won't provide code, as this hardly depends on used library, but will explain the idea instead ;)

You have to do only two things:

1. Enable cookies handling in library used for connecting to JIRA (so the cookies are passed from last response to next request)

2. POST your credentials as JSON to /rest/auth/1/session/, like that:

{ "username": "myuser", "password": "mypassword" }

In response you should get session information:

{"session":{"name":"JSESSIONID","value":"6E3487971234567896704A9EB4AE501F"},"loginInfo":{"failedLoginCount":1,"loginCount":2,"lastFailedLoginTime":"2013-11-27T09:43:28.839+0000","previousLoginTime":"2013-12-04T07:54:59.824+0000"}}%

But more imporant is that you'll get session cookie from server which should be used in next requests.

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=6E3487971234567896704A9EB4AE501F; Path=/; HttpOnly

As you see cookie name and value are the same as in session reply - this can be used to set cookie header manualy in next requests.

If authentication request passes but next request returns not authorized then probably something is wrong with cookies passing ;).

If you get 'Unsupported Media Type' then verify that there the Content-Type is set to application/json in request headers.

Jason Nguyen May 12, 2014

Can you provide some code for this working? I've yet to see any examples of any authentication with JIRA except through CURL. I need to be able to do this within JavaScript/AJAX.

Aleksander Mierzwicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2014

Please create new question and describe as much as you can what are you doing. Please also be aware of ajax cross domain request limitations.

Lokesh Cherukuri October 12, 2016

How to do this with POSTMAN client. should i send credentials as Header or Form-data or  application/x-www-form-urlencoded?

0 votes
Sugandha March 7, 2019

Hi, 

I am able to write JIRA API via postman to create JIRA tasks using Basic Authentication

Now I wanted to use AOuth 2.0 for authentication instead of Basic

Please help me on how to proceed with this.

Regards,

Sugandha

Mitalee Jadhav June 25, 2019

@Sugandha From where did you find the username for basic authentication? Have you used email id or the username which we get when we add '@' for adding comment or so? We have to pass username:password right while sending GET request? 

0 votes
Benjamin Rau April 20, 2017

HI all.

We host JIRA server ourselves. I am trying to setup login via session resource like Seffan did.

Everything works fine with request in Postman but as soon as i perform the POST request from Angular (what means CORS) it fails with error message: 415 Unsupported media type.

For sure i verified that Content-Type and Accept header is set. I tried by HttpModule and Restangular.

Ive also tried to set Access-Control-Allow-* headers on Apache whose doing proxy.

Happy for any help. Cheers Ben

0 votes
Upkaar Singh April 21, 2014

Hi Staffan, can you please send this code to me .I realy need that

Thanks.

0 votes
Staffan Nilsson December 4, 2013

I've now successfully obtained and used the session cookie. It works as expected. Thanks!

0 votes
Staffan Nilsson December 4, 2013

Thank you very much for the answer. Your reply provided the needed information. I have now been able to POST of my credentials, with a proper reply from JIRA. The next step is to get the cookie and provide it to subsequent requests. I am fairly hopeful that I will get that to work, but if necessary I will follow up with another question here.

Thanks again!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events