Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

API JQL search results provide way too much information

When I run a JQL search query through the REST API, I am getting a vast ocean of information -- every field available for every issue, which turns out to be over 150 fields per issue (and that is counting minimum elements per array, like fixVersion or subtasks).

While I know there is an "expand" parameter on the REST "search", it appears that there is either 1) a global setting that says "expand everything all the time" or 2) I am missing a way to limit what's returned to only the fields I need. Or I guess option 3 would be that I have no option to limit what I get back, and am going to just have to deal with the performance consequences.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this some sort of a setting specific to each filter?

Thanks for any and all help!

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

10 votes
Answer accepted

Have you tried using fields query parameter? https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/#d2e3181

The fields param (which can be specified multiple times) gives a comma-separated list of fields to include in the response. This can be used to retrieve a subset of fields. A particular field can be excluded by prefixing it with a minus.

By default, only navigable (*navigable) fields are returned in this search resource. Note: the default is different in the get-issue resource -- the default there all fields (*all).

• *all - include all fields
  • *navigable - include just navigable fields
  • summary,comment - include just the summary and comments
  • -description - include navigable fields except the description (the default is *navigable for search)
  • *all,-comment - include everything except comments

Wow, completely missed that in the documentation... embarrassing. Thanks very much.

The fields works for the outer fields only but I can not determine the inside fields, ex: when I get the issue data and I specify in "fields" to return "Status", it return a full status object. how can I return only the StatusId to minimize the network traffic?

Thanks, 

Like Victor Cheung likes this

Jimmy Elsayed, did you ever get a response or figure out how to limit the attributes returned for an object? I'm stuck right now trying to achieve the same thing.

Thanks

I opened a case with Jira and It is not support!!

You have to use some add-on/plug-in to build your own RESTfull which is not applicable in my situation due to security considerations...

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

215 views 0 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you