Feature Request: Checklists

Steve Lawrence August 9, 2018

We (my colleagues and I) would like the ability to add checklists to issues in JIRA Agility Boards. Sometimes tasks need to cover certain subtasks, but these can often be so minor that breaking these down into further subtasks is overkill and would flood your board.

It would be great to be able to add a simple checklist to tasks. I see lots of plugins that add this functionality, but plugins do not currently work with Agility boards, and it feels like something that would be beneficial to lots of users, and so worthy of consideration as a native feature.

Thank you!

2 answers

7 votes
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2018

Hi @Steve Lawrence,

We are considering checklists. A lot of customers we speak to have expressed the need for something similiar to sub-tasks, but more lightweight. A huge theme of the new boards is to make it simpler to use, and so as you mentioned if sub-tasks are overkill for your needs, then perhaps checklists will do the job and help avoid over complicating what cards you see and interact with on the board.

I can’t give you a timeframe as yet, but checklists are available in other Atlassian products, so the capability will work itself over to Jira as we make them consistently available across our products.

A checklist can appear as a managed sub-list of checkboxes on an issue, perhaps as you might have seen with plugins as such - https://www.atlassian.com/blog/software-teams/using-checklists-jira-can-help-team-agile. And/or we could also make them so that they can be created, say in a comment or description using the rich WYSIWYG editor on the new Jira issues. Would you expect checklists to work as a managed sub-list, just like those plug-ins, or embedded in say comments and descriptions throughout the issue (eg. Comment and create a task inline with a comment), or perhaps both?

Jason Wong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Steve Lawrence August 14, 2018

Hi @Jason Wong

In an ideal world, my preference would be something like a plugin where we could build a pre-defined series of milestones for different 'cookie cutter' tasks (e.g. one for creating a video, or one for creating a written article), that we could then just 'drop-in' to an issue. As we tick off the milestones it might date/timestamp them and record who ticked them.

However, if that would mean a long-term development then I'd be happy with just something as simple as being able to drop tickable check-boxes into the description, at least to begin with.

In a previous role I worked with Confluence and I believe you could do that there?

Thanks for listening, it's great to know you're considering feedback!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2018

I know this is not obvious, but the Community here is not the place for feature requests.  Atlassian do read and contribute, and sometimes generate internal tasks from conversations, but in general, you can assume that nothing in Community affects their plans, roadmap or prioritisations.  Feature requests, enhancements, +1's, rants, essays on how they're doing it right or wrong, etc, all have zero effect.

But there is, of course, a right place.  Head over to https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and create a "Suggestion", after searching to see if there is already one for this.

Then let us know what you find, and people will vote for it there (as that is looked at when they're planning)

Thanks for replying, though I posted it here because this is where Atlassian tell you to share your suggestions when you click the 'Feedback' button. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2018

Yeah, the Community leads are looking at all the ways people get referred here to see if the automations are using useful tags (they're not), if it's the right place (often yes, sometimes no, like this one), if the referral is capable of giving better information to the community, and if the referral is clear about what we can and can't help with (it's usually not)

A "suggestion" here is just a chat with other users, not any form of real request.  But it's not a bad place to land - a lot of us will point you at existing feature requests, or encourage you to go to the right place and then support you with votes, or just talk about the idea to see if we could re-use it, and/or push for Atlassian to do it.

OK, thanks for taking the time to explain the situation. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 9, 2018

For what it's worth, I'm with you.

"but plugins do not currently work with Agility boards" - that's a nightmare. 

Personally, I dislike checklist type fields, but that's just because of the way I tend to think, I really do see how they are good for people better organised than me.

But I do like a lot of other field types that are provided by add-ons, which the boards fail miserably to support.  So i really want this to be fixed.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2018

@Steve Lawrence & @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-,

We’re more than happy for you to post feature requests here on community.

There are various channels we use to find out what customers need: in-product surveys, feedback forms, email surveys, jira.atlassian.com, customer interviews, usage data. Community gives us an added dimension for interacting with you.

Using community for feature requests is something new, and we have only recently started encouraging this by linking out from the feedback button in the new Jira experience.

Thanks for clicking through, posting your request and discussing it here. Please keep doing so, and please encourage others to also bring their voice here to community.

Jason Wong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Steve Lawrence August 14, 2018

Thank you @Jason Wong, good to know!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events