Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sub task and epic in quick filter

Aprajita Badola August 12, 2021

If I apply  quick filter filter with combination of epic name and subtask, then its not working.

If I remove epic name then sub task shows.. Any suggestions

Basically, I want to create a quick filter which should display both task and sub task for a Epic.

Can you please tell me what I might be doing wrong

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2021

Before the main answer, it may just be the way you have written the question, but it sounds like you are expecting a quick-filter to draw more issues into your board.  They do not do this, they drill-down into a board, hiding things that do not match them.  For an issue to appear when a quick-filter is active, it must already be on the board (and then the quick-filter selects for it, not hiding it when active)

But the main answer:  You're not doing anything wrong

There's a flaw in the design in Jira in my opinion.  Technically, it is actually correct - sub-tasks do not belong to Epics, they are a part of their parent issue only (which does belong to an Epic and hence you should infer that any sub-task of an issue is linked to the Epic too because it is part of the parent)

But Jira doesn't flow the Epic-link down into sub-tasks.

While there's a good argument that you shouldn't actually care (when you're looking at the content of an Epic, why do you need to know that fragments of the issues in it are also there?  You think you need to see all the layers at the same time? ), but because there are some useful reports, and some people don't see it that way, I think it's a failure to not have the Epic data also represented on the sub-tasks, so you can at least search for them.

Because of that, I'm afraid you can't complete your search.

Aprajita Badola August 13, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Sub tasks were not showing because of quick filters in active sprint screen

I added  "Epic Link" is EMPTY in quick filters and  but it's showing all the epic where link is empty..  Is it possible to create filter where epic link ="ABC" and issuetype ="Bug" and its subtask

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events