how to setup the Agile Team to work on a Sprint

Edson Sossai July 17, 2018

HI, I am new in JIRA Agile and i want to start very slow. I have created the project and already recorded a list of issues (stories) or my backlog.

I have also added all this under a specific EPIC and will have two sprints to take create of all these backlog

My question is how to a define/create the teams that will work on these sprints? Is this a group in User Management? How do you create specific team that will be responsible for a particular part of this work?

Thanks

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Deleted user July 18, 2018

Hi @Edson Sossai,

The creation of a "team" in Jira can be done by simply adding people to a project in Jira. For instance, I define a Project Role for the development team and their permission requirements, whereas there will be a different Project Role for PMs and another for Stakeholders/Clients.

I just need to ask a few questions to be able to assist; 

1. Have you added your team to the project?
  2. Do your Stories require more than one person to work on them during the sprint?
  3. If so, have you broken your Story down to the Sub-task level?

Thanks

Edson Sossai July 18, 2018

Hello Danny

First of all thank you for replaying. I am new to using Agile and trying to figure out the best way to setup my project.

This is actually a program that will take approximately 24 months for completion. Its a package banking system we are implementing and there are several fronts to be worked like

1. Functional Requirements,

2. Data Migration,

3. Interfaces, 

4. Writing Testing scenarios 

5. Creating of the hosting infrastructure

6. Deploying the package

Answering your questions: (1) I just created the project but i haven't added any team yet. (2) Yes there will be more than one person working on these stories (3) no, i have not broken them as i was (still am) confused on how to organize all that.

I am not if i must also break all those points above in projects or have them as components in just one project.

Deleted user July 18, 2018

I will try to assist where I can in your project set up.

I have made suggestions for the following;

Functional Requirements

Capture your functional requirements on a per product basis, using Epics. Breakdown the features of those Epics into Stories with Acceptance Criteria. Acceptance Criteria will assist your Quality Assurance personnel to test features appropriately.

Data Migration

This is an Epic in my opinion. Breaking down Tasks for your team to complete in order for data to be migrated, tested and validated. 

As you mentioned, utilise Components so when new Issues are created there is a Component Lead in your team that are automatically assigned, Data Migration, Interfaces, Infrastructure are good examples.  

Writing Testing scenarios 

I can recommend some great add-ons on Jira that are non-intrusive such as Adaptavist's Test Case Management. However you may find something more appropriate if you search the Marketplace.  

I just created the project but i haven't added any team yet.

That is fine, I would suggest using Project Roles instead of User Groups.

Yes there will be more than one person working on these stories (3) no, i have not broken them as i was (still am) confused on how to organize all that.

My suggestion would be to breakdown Stories in a Sub-task for each person involved in delivering to the Story's acceptance criteria. 

I am not if i must also break all those points above in projects or have them as components in just one project.

My rule of thumb is that each new Jira project should be created for each product & client.

Hope this helps

Edson Sossai July 19, 2018

Hi Danny, thanks a lot. You are helping a lot here. I also liked a lot the idea of the test cases (never thought there was an addon for that) and this can really help.

Another Add-on i have is Jira Portfolio. What role can this play to help me? I see the this add-on does have a TEAM concept/field there or the projet roles is the best fit for defining who really works on a sprint?

Thanks

Deleted user July 20, 2018

Hi @Edson Sossai,

Happy to help where I can.

Yes Portfolio for Jira can really help you manage your Program as it allows you to build project, stage and team plans, even over multiple Jira Projects, utilising versions and issue linking and presents this information in a "big picture". This is definitely great for communicating time estimates, scope, and progress to stakeholders.

PoJ (just shortening it :)) gives you the concept of teams, thus allowing you to incorporate resource capacity into your planning. Resource holidays and workloads can be maintained on a plan by plan basis. Therefore this product is very good at getting closer to the actual effort levels that resources are putting into each project.

Hope this helps   

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events