Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my epic appear in the epic column on my scrum board?

Scott Federman March 3, 2014

I have two user stories for a project linked to an epic in another project. Why doesn't that epic appear in the epic column on the left side of the plan view next to the sprints? How do I get it to appear?

12 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2014

Hi Scott,

It is a default behavior. Epics by design are listed on the left side of JIRA Agile board and because you can view issues from few projects in a single JIRA Agile Board you are seeing also other epics. Why is this for? To easily associate Epics to stories, see how many tickets is under specific Epic, easily create stories without searching which project it is, ... etc.

If you do not want to see it consider resctricting the Board only to your specific project. This could help remove unwanted epics (and issues)

I hope that will help.

Best Regards,

Mirek

Scott Federman March 4, 2014

Hi Mirek and thank you.

The issue is, however exactly the opposite. I was expecting to see it but don't:( What would cause this epic NOT to appear in the column?

So i think i might have found the issue but I'm not 100%. What i did notice is that when i look at the user story details in the ticket viewer on the planning screen, the epic field is left blank instead of having the "PDMXCAL-410" epic listed as it appears in the header of the user story below the user story name. Why is this? How do i get the epic name to appear in this field?

Like # people like this
4 votes
Sukai Qin October 28, 2017

Make sure your filter for the board includes the epic ticket itself. 

4 votes
Jeremy Spencer August 30, 2014

Hi All, I want to do something similar. Here are my use cases.

1- Create Epics in a project called "MASTER BACKLOG", this is an EPIC only area to track EPICS progress and see story count and story point count.

2- Create stories in the follow projects "TEAM1" and "TEAM2" and link these stories to the MASTER BACKLOG Epics. I would like a rule that if story has not been linked than it can not be created, there is a message "must add link to epic".

3- View the MASTER BACKLOG EPICS in projects TEAM1 and TEAM 2 that are linked to MASTER BACKLOG EPIC

Can someone help me with the jql filter for each project to achieve this? Greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jeremy

4 votes

Hi Mirek and thank you.

The issue is, however exactly the opposite. I was expecting to see it but don't:( What would cause this epic NOT to appear in the column?

3 votes
Dennis T February 26, 2020

For others with similar issues, as katie said in her comment, the Epic Status field might be to blame.

Noyan May 12, 2020

Great, it solved my problem thank you

Mike McNamara April 1, 2021

Yes, 100% my root cause as well. Epic Status had been set to Done/ Changed it to None, and now appears in Epic pane on Backlog. Seems simple in hindsight, but was driving me crazy! Thanks!

1 vote
Tanya Fraser July 7, 2020

Board Settings has a check box for Displaying the Epics as a column in the Backlog, not in as a card on the board - that solved my problem

Alexandre Mikhalenkov March 4, 2021

Thank you, that was it

1 vote
katie August 1, 2019

i am seeing this same issue. displaying the backlog i can see the epics in the backlog but the epic does not appear on the left side column.  

any ideas?

katie August 1, 2019

figured it out. someone had marked it complete .. had to add the epic status field to the screen, set it back to 'to do' and then it showed up. 

Like # people like this
Ferdi van Schijndel August 14, 2019

Thanks Katie! I ran into the same problem.

Like katie likes this
sleeke September 12, 2019

If the 'Epic Status' field doesn't show up, try using the 'Bulk edit' feature ;)

Like Jeff Yarnell likes this
0 votes
Meyer, Gordon October 25, 2019

In my case the Filter I am using uses Labels. It turns out that the newly created EPIC also needs the same Label added to it to appear.

0 votes
Christopher Hurney March 2, 2016

I'm assuming you created a new project, and your epic was a part of that new project, but it's child stories were part of another project?  For example, I use catch-all "UI" and "API" projects for development tasks, but my Epic was part of a project called "MT."  So when I viewed my backlog based on my "All Projects" query, my "UI" and "API" stories appeared, but the Epic name did not appear because the "MT" project hadn't been added to my "All Projects" query.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Burkhart Salzmann August 28, 2014

It looks like the Epics are filtered in the same way the User Stories are (logical if you think both are Issues of some sort). Fixing the filter or the properties of the epic solved it for me.

This was my scenario with this query:

assignee in (user1, user2) OR project in (project1, project2) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Issues where assigned to the user, but the Epic was not, thus the Issue showed in the board but the Epic did not. Once I assigned the Epic to user2 it worked.

Another solution is to include that one particular Epic in your filter:

assignee in (user1, user2) OR project in (project1, project2) OR id in (JIR-1, JIR-2) ORDER BY Rank ASC

This was my best solution as my team focussed on two projects plus two epics of another much larger project.

Hope that helps

0 votes

It turns out the answer to this problem was the contriuting backlog names in the board filter didn't match the actual contibuting backlog names. I needed to fix the filter and it appears allis working as it should.

Ravi Atluri July 15, 2014

Sorry did not get that Scott. Am having the same issue, can you let me know in a little detailed way?

Dennis T February 26, 2020

Maybe he means he had the wrong project names in his filter.

0 votes

So i think i might have found the issue but I'm not 100%. What i did notice is that when i look at the user story details in the ticket viewer on the planning screen, the epic field is left blank instead of having the "PDMXCAL-410" epic listed as it appears in the header of the user story below the user story name. Why is this? How do i get the epic name to appear in this field?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events