Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you keep project documentation in Jira Cloud?

Ognyan April 16, 2019

Hello there, 

I am wondering where do other people keep documentation related to a project inside Jira?

We are usually having a task titled documentation in the backlog but I don`t think this is really smart and it also breaks the statistics. 

The problem is that we don`t want separate tools for simple documentation related to the technical part of the project.

I will be happy to have your feedback and ideas.

Thanks! 

Ognyan

5 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Marianne Miller
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

If you can't swing Confluence, which is certainly the quickest and easiest way to create and reference documentation for Jira issues, then I'd recommend a Google Team Drive.  That way, the working, collaborative document can be shared in the issue, and edit are automatically versioned and tracked, so you're always working with the latest update without trying to replace static versions of files.

With a Google Team Drive, all members of the team have access to stored files and you don't have to remember or manage sharing permissions.

Even in our current configuration with Confluence, we still use Team Drive for active, working files, and Confluence for historical solutions.

We've found that this works very well for our team.  I would certainly recommend it if you're looking for a scalable solution for your Jira projects.

Good Luck!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

I gave a talk last year about how we can leverage both confluence and Jira for better management of our projects and there are some interesting real-life use-cases which I have shared in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5NojGjJCE

1 vote
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

@Ognyan : Definitely advisable not to have a Task just for documentation. As Tarun mentioned, use Confluence.

We are using confluence for Project specific documentation and SharePoint for the big stuff (linked to Jira/Confluence)

For Technical Design per Task/User Story, the Tech Leads want any diagrams or documentation attached to the Task/User Story in question so that they can review swiftly and conveniently. 
Admin maintains the archiving of all Tech Design & Documentation per project on Confluence (no double work or uploading, just links)

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

Hello @Ognyan 

Jira for project tracking and project management, and it's not a great tool for content/document management.

That why, people use Confluence for content/document management, both Jira and confluence are so nicely integrated hence you can have the jira ticket linked to the confluence page having the required content and you can attach files as well to the confluence pages easily and mention jira issues within confluence pages as well.

There might be some hacks about using Jira for managing documentation but Jira is not meant for this purpose.

0 votes
Ognyan April 16, 2019

Thank you guys for the recommendation. We cannot justify the business value that confluence will bring us.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

@Ognyan : how does your company store documents at the moment ? Office365? SharePoint?

Ognyan April 16, 2019

Locally mostly and Google Drive. 

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Hmm... that's a tricky one.

I would suggest attaching documents to each User Story / task that the doc relates to and keep everything else more general on the Google Drive (especially if it needs sharing).

No one from your company interested in a business case for Confluence? It's not just for document storage, but extremely useful / powerful for project management. Plans, release notes, status monitoring, etc.

Like Ognyan likes this
Ognyan April 16, 2019

Thank you, Andy. 

I will definitely check the features that confluence provides.

If you can provide some business cases and stories where Confluence brought value I will be happy to take a look :) 

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

You're most welcome.

Start with this article! It's a gold mine as long as you are patient and take your time.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/confluence-evaluator-resources/confluence-business-case

Are you participating in your local Atlassian User Group.... ?
https://aug.atlassian.com/
If you can get to Amsterdam or Rotterdam you can join use to dive into real-life user stories directly with the users themselves! :)

Like # people like this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2019

@Ognyan 

I gave a talk last year about how we can leverage both confluence and Jira for better management of our projects and there are some interesting real-life use-cases which I have shared in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-5NojGjJCE

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Epic video Tarun! You should post it as a seperate answer for an Upvote! 
See you this Thursday at AUG AMS? :)

Like Tarun Sapra likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2019

Thanks Andy! posted it as an separate answer :)

See you at the Ams AUG!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

...and upvoted my man! 
That's great. See you soon.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events