Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with my User Stories?

Binyamin August 17, 2020

I've been preparing for a study app I'd like to create. I created some user stories and epics. From what I read on the Agile Coach site, user stories are not features. How do I turn those into down-to-earth, step-by-step tasks?

Here's a user story I wrote for my app: "As a self-learner, I want external resources".

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2020

Meet with your colleges and do a workshop to specify all the nitty gritty needs. You can do Mindmaps or Brainstorming or any other collaborative method. Then document your outcome by taking some nice photos for and creating your Jira tasks and link them to your story. But actually that has nothing to do with Jira at all. You question is more related to methodology in project management and requirements engineering while Jira is just a (very good) tool in this case. 

Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2020

P.S. Just saw that you question was a general agile question. My filters were not set properly and I took it as a Jira related question. Nevertheless I hope my first answer might help you. :)

Binyamin August 17, 2020

What do you mean by "meet with your colleges"? I am making an app. The app is for people to study a specific skill. I'm not enrolled in any classes currently.

Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2020

You are working alone without a team?     Maybe you can ask some friend as virtual/potential customers. Agile working basically relates on participation and sharing ideas. As a solo developer without any people around you agile working is quiet difficult. Of course you can use agile methods to bring some structure in your thoughts and your work. But in the end this is tough. Try to find some peers (local or remote) to discuss your ideas. Make small steps and rethink/retrospect what you have reached. Don’t be afraid of throwing things away and start over. That’s the best tip I can give you at this time. But yeah, that’s very diffuse. Let’s try something more specific for your initial question. What to do with your story "As a self-learner, I want external resources"?

I think you app needs some kind of backend where users can

- register and login

- search resources like textbooks or video lectures

- mark resources as favorites 

- download resources

- discuss with other users about resources/content

- subscribe to periodicals 

- etc etc etc

Each idea is basically just another user story and there are much more stories undiscovered yet. So begin with the very first step you want in your user journey: Register and Login. What do you need to get this? A database, some kind of webserver and of course a frontend (Input mask). No you can drill down each and every aspect of your app. Start writing code as soon as you think there is something that might bring some functionality (principle of the least viable product). Try, test, fail, improve, check and finish. Then start over with the next feature you want to implement. 
Step by step you and your app will grow. 
And never get frustrated. As a software developer failing is one of your best friends. Learn from your failures and improve. Even better learn from others failures and share your knowledge so that you and they can improve. Agility is more then just a set of skills and techniques. It‘s an attitude and a spirit. And it works best when you have a someone on your side. 
It will be an honor to me if you would show me your first results. And I am willing to give you feedback.
Good night and good luck!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events