Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of requisites do I use for building phase and Story vs components

Angel Martinez April 26, 2020

Hi, I am new to this and this is my forst project. I have been analyzing user requirements, user journeys... now I have many user requirements and am working on establishing functional requirements, technical requirements and system requirements. However, I have doubts about what requirements should I use as issues for my sprints. USer requirements, functional requirements?

Also, I have doubts about how to organize my requirements. User story seem to be good way and I am exploring Easy Agile, but some requirements are common to various or all the story phases.

Anyone can help or recommend me some texts?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2020

Hello @Angel Martinez

Are you working alone or as part of a team? It seems as though you are trying to build the technical framework of the product without involving your team to help you break down requirements into Epics and Stories. 

Could I ask what study or reference materials are you wanting to look into? Agile frameworks such as Scrum perhaps? Or are you wanting to review how technical practices combine and compliment Agile frameworks? 

As an aside, requirements could vary in their complexity to deliver. Working with a cross-functional team to map and breakdown requirements into more manageable Stories is part of the delivery process.

Furthermore, you can use Components to breakdown a project into categories or areas. An Atlassian Team member's quote on a similar question is an apt explanation: 

JIRA components are sub-sections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts.  I would take a look at Managing components and Defining a Component for more information.  

My suggestion would be to use Components to create ownership within areas of the project where an SME is best placed.

Hope this helps,

Danny 

Angel Martinez April 27, 2020

Hi Danny, thank you very much for your answer. I helped me understand how to manage Epics and components.

I am working in a team. We are experts in our sector (transportation) but not in development and we are starting to use agile methodologies to define our solutions and control its development. In some way I am leading it. So we are defining together the requirements but I am charged to propose methods to jointly decide and apply.

Regards.

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2020

Hi @Angel Martinez

It sounds like you have taken on quite a lot with learning an Agile mindset and finding the framework that best represents your company's delivery process.

Transportation sector, sounds interesting, are you able to talk about a project you are working on or give an example of how you are using Atlassian products? 

Apologies for all the questions, I have no experience in the transportation sector so it is fascinating to me.

Thanks,

Danny

Angel Martinez May 3, 2020

Hi Danny,

In fact my approach to agile methodoligies comes from the need to innovate and think out of the box in the market. I work in the aeronautical domain, more focused on what we call in inside language CNS/ATM which are all the technologies and procedures to control air trafic (which finally means supporting controllers in the towers and control centers). Although most people see aeronautics as a leading innovative sector, it is not. If something works, we stick to it. Most technologies are old and procedures are very strict. When everything is tested, established and known waterfall projects are the norm. But mi mission is to innovate in the sector by applying 4.0 and common IT technologies to the sector.

Now I am working on a specialized manager for certain recurring tasks in the control centers and I am in the phase of gathering real needs and creating the concept. I am using other tools like Miro for joint discussions, Excel to list requirements... but I know that when this process spans and we start to make this concept a reality I need a tools like Jira and Confluence (maybe others I don´t know about?) to organize and track all this requirements and developments and have a single information repository.

Sorry for the long answer! 

Like Danny likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2020

Thank you @Angel Martinez

This is very insightful and allows me understand your position more than I had done before. 

You mentioned, "...need to innovate and think out of the box in the market.", if this is the case then you could explore the overall goals for the projects you are a part of, do the goals push the teams to innovate? If the project goals mention innovative approaches it becomes a core to the scrum team's thinking when they are looking Stories, etc. The same is true for your Product Owners as well. 

"When everything is tested, established and known waterfall projects are the norm." I agree, it does happen. Why do you think it has happened in your sector? Could it be due to the high regard for safety in the sector, or mitigating risks as the current processes work (not efficiently perhaps), or something else?  

An excellent goal for you to take on, "...my mission is to innovate in the sector by applying 4.0 and common IT technologies...", the Scrum framework focuses on delivering incremental value and that is a good mindset to have for innovating on products. 

You stated, "...specialized manager for certain recurring tasks in the control centers...", do these tasks need to be added in Jira? If so, you could apply an automation rule to minimise the administrative workload.

You mentioned Miro, did you know there is a free add-on for Confluence to embed Miro and easily access all of your relevant assets right from Confluence? 

You mentioned Excel to list requirements, you could use Confluence to track requirements and easily create issues in your Jira from your Confluence pages.

I prefer the long answers, lets me help more where I can. Let me know if you would like to talk about this more, selfishly, I do find this very interesting :D. 

Hope this helps,

Danny

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events