Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using multiple Greenhopper boards for the same project seems to share sprints

John Hodgens August 21, 2013

We are trying out Greenhopper and created a separate scrum board for each release of a product (which is a JIRA project) to represent the issues that are going to be a part of that release. The problem is that when I create a sprint for one of the boards, it shows up and is shared by the other boards. Is this a bug or an unexpected use of the Greenhopper boards/sprints?

6 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2013

Hey John,

You can have multiple boards using the same project, however you need to keep in mind you can't have different Sprints in each board. If you start a Sprint in one board, this Sprint will appear in the other board. This because the Sprint information is stored in the issue itself, so if you have that project in another board, the sprint will be there.

To avoid this, you can try the suggestion from Shaun (see here), where you can use components to distinguish each one.

Also, we have a project currently in "Labs" to handle this restriction (see Parallel Sprints), but please note it may change from it's current implementation.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Andre Petry

Chad Wilhelm October 14, 2015

Hello, If parallel sprints is enabled do you have to still define components? Thanks!

0 votes
Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2016

Hi

We have same problem and I agree that this is a bug. If you have 2 boards and at edit issue screen change sprint field value of an issue from board 1 with a sprint name from board 2 then an sprint will created automatically in board 1 with the same name at board 2 and every thing you do with one of this two namesake sprints will change in another one. For example change sprint name in one and it'll changed automatically in another one. 

but you can use this receipt for solving this:

1. First you must be sure that sprint field of each issue at most have on value.
  2. Redefine your boards by Board from an existing Saved Filter 
  3. Use an Abbreviation for naming all of your sprint. A good one can be your board name following with sprint number. For Example: Board1-Sprint1 and Board2-Sprint1 and be careful to use a pattern that remain unique during your project.
  4. It's cooked!
0 votes
Bridgette Wilson March 31, 2014

Andre [Additional Question],

As you suggested above, I set up mulitple boards for the same project. One board is scrum (dev work) and one board is Kanban (maintenance work). When I create an issue for the Kanban board, why does thaqt issue show up in the backlog for the scrum board?

0 votes
Vasiliy Krokha [Ciklum] August 23, 2013

Yes, that will work too, any method either versions, components like Andre suggested below or labels will suit you. Just rember that one task should be present only on one board specified in board filter criteria

0 votes
John Hodgens August 22, 2013

Thanks for your responses. What I am trying to set up is the fact that we are working on multiple versions of the same product concurrently (i.e. some of the tasks/features are long term and targeted for a future release). Would it work to create a 'Release 1' board and 'Release 2' board on the same project, assign each issue a Fix Version and then filter for those versions in their respective boards? Alternatively, I am curious about the Parallel Sprints but am a little concerned about the developmental nature of them and being subject to change. It doesn't seem like what I'm trying to do would be that uncommon, so I wonder if there is a better way to do this altogether.

0 votes
Vasiliy Krokha [Ciklum] August 22, 2013
Depending on how this affects your process it could be a bug or side effect. This is happens only when issue which is in spring in one board is also present on another board too. So if you adjust filters for your boards in a way that one issue could be present only in one board (which was ok for us) then it wont happen. We did that separation using labels by adjusting board filters and marking issues by only one lable associated with the particular board. Hope this could help you.
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events