Unique Issue ID...where do we stand?

Pascal Bouchard May 11, 2017

Hi,

Problem: When moving an issue from one project to another, the ID changes.

Expected system behavior: to ease traceability, the ID would remain the same after moving.

Comments: I need to know where we stand in May 2017 in terms of having access to a unique issue ID. It was first reported in 2003 and 2004 and I assume that it has been corrected since then because this is major.

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2017

@pascal Bouchard,

The *ID* actually doesn't change, but you will change the *Key* when an issue moves because the *key* must match the parent project.

You may consider if the need for movement across projects indicates that Components should be used instead, or if you feel the need to move tickets across projects is legit, but want to search you can always search by any of the historical keys, and JIRA will still find it, and never reuse a previously used key.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.23.49 PM.png

Moved to:

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.24.28 PM.png

But still searchable.Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 2.30.07 PM.png

This is exactly the workaround I was looking for. Thanks for the detailed answer. I appreciate.

I have an issue identified RM-6.

For test purposes, i have done the following:

I typed key = RM-6 in search field of JIRA Agile but it did not return any value.  

0 votes
Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2017

Unfortunately, this is not possible apparently. The project key purpose is to tell which project the issue belongs to. Reference here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Move-issue-between-SD-and-non-SD-project-maintain-Issue-Key/qaq-p/454487 

Thanks. And what about another issue attribute, which could be unique? This could be a workaround. Any idea?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events