Sprint names changing in one project to mirror another project

Dyan Jodoin February 3, 2014

I have a user that is a project admin on two different projects. A cleanup oif sprints on one project was needed, so he did this. the result is that his two project sprint boards are now mirrored from a Sprint naming Point of view. He cannot change one project's sprint names without affecting the other.

Is there somehow a linking between these two very distinct, very different projects that was made , and that could be removed?

Steps:

Step 1 - Be a Project Admin on Project 1
Step 2 - Join the Project 2 team as Project Admin and work on an existing board
Step 3 - Create several sprints on the Project 2 and name them in increasing order from the the current sprint
Step 4 - Notice that Project 1's Sprints now mirror what the admin named Project 2 sprints
Step 5 - Go back and rename the project 1's Sprints to what they were prior to the change
Step 6 - Notice that it works both ways, now Project 2's Sprints are changed to what was just renamed in Project 1
Thanks

22 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Lucia Stacey September 27, 2017

HOW is this still not fixed? I'm pretty sure literally no one wants this behavior. They need to stop selling it as a feature. 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2017

Hi Lucia,

I have replied on your thread.

Cheers,

Branden

Kate Hanna September 27, 2017

Hi Branden, I am interested in your reply also.  What thread is this?  Please can you give URL?  I can't see any reply on this thread.  Thanks.

Kevin Leahey September 28, 2017

@[deleted] I am also interested in your response. We need to be able to have sprints running in different projects. The fact that this issue hasn't been resolved in over 3 years is disconcerting.

2 votes
Dina February 1, 2018

This behavior is really frustrating.

Why to have different projects then ? Let's manage all in one, ha!? Doesn't sound right. Having shared sprint settings for different projects doesn't sound right as well.

2 votes
Systems Team November 15, 2016

Atlassian, why is this still a problem?  The fact that I can't change the name of a sprint and have it only affect one project is kind of a serious issue for a lot of people. 

2 votes
Jose Raupp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2014

Hi Dyan,

This is the sprints expected behaviour. Despite you can only create a sprint when you’re accessing a board, the sprint is not exclusively tied to this board and project, sprints are global.

It is possible to add issues from any scrum project to the sprints, the board is just a way of creating filters to show issues and metrics grouped by project.

In other words, if you access 'Project 1' board, create a sprint named 'Sprint 1', then access 'Project 2', create 'Sprint 2', you will have two different sprints that can be accessed from plan mode independent of the board you are accessing, either 'Project 1' or 'Project 2'.

Cheers,

Jose Raupp

Chul Kwon October 20, 2015

I'm a PM who is managing multiple products. Each one of them has its own project. Each project must have its own sprints, not mirrored those of other projects. Many others on the forum are having this problem? Could we fix this logic?

Like # people like this
mobileraj September 7, 2016

Hi Chul - did you find a resolution to this? I'm experiencing this exact same issue. Raj

Kate Hanna September 14, 2016

I have resolution - see my answer above.  Going forward, name sprints with project id first.  For existing problems, copy all issues to empty new sprint with project identified name.

mobileraj September 15, 2016

Yes, I ultimately resolved my issue by using unique Sprint names. I had duplicated Sprint names in different projects and that caused issues.

Constantin Chiriac November 14, 2016

We are trying to keep sprints named after project as well. But every now and then they get mixed up. The other day I woke up to see project A's sprints gone and instead project B's sprints on the board with tasks from project A assigned to them. Nobody knows how on earth that happen, and now we need to clean up that mess. I guess this is expected behaviour...

StephenTravelaer January 22, 2017

This issue is inconsistent and needs to be fixed, please.

I'm the scrum master on 4 different projects. One just recently started linking it's Sprint names to another project and the cycle isn't breakable. I've tried moving all the stories into a newly created sprint and then deleting the duplicated named sprint and then the other scrum board updates by deleting the sprint name but keeping the content of the deleted sprint under the name of the next sprint name of the other board.

This issue has been posted since 2014... is there really nothing being done to find a better solution?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Like Yolanda Jantzen likes this
S Haigh March 15, 2017

Any update Atlassian?  The behaviour is pretty bizzare/unworkable at the moment.

JP Van de Capelle April 2, 2018

I am having the same issue; and it is really unworkable. Makes me think to throw out JIRA all together.  Bizarre how to completely different projects get coupled together where there MUST NOT be any coupling.

Yolanda April 23, 2019

@Branden McElveen SAME issue!   

why do we have to use a workaround ... does not make life any easier... have been using this for over 6 months with more than 10 sprints on each project following their own naming convention but only NOW the names of sprints starts to get mixed up between projects!!! what is up with that! .. thanks

Yolanda 

2 votes
Nikolaus Weis March 6, 2014

This affects not only the name of the sprint but also the sprint duration. This is a really serious issue on our site.

1 vote
Kate Hanna September 14, 2016

We have this problem also.  I do not think it is created by the user being Admin on 2 projects.  I was not Admin on the other project - problem is Sprints can be used by multiple projects.

JIRA automatically offers default names for each new sprint.  The names are Sprint 1, Sprint 2, Sprint 3 etc.  But these names are not exclusive to the project.  As we discovered to our cost, when I suddenly couldn't start Sprint 3 because another project had a Sprint 3.  You can't even rename your own sprint because it is shared by the other project.  The original questioner would have been able to do this because they were admin on both projects.

We fixed this by creating an entirely new empty sprint (system was calling it sprint 5 but we changed it) with a name "Project Sprint 3".  Then we copied all our issues from our existing Sprint 3 to the new "Project Sprint 3".  Then I was able to start the "Project Sprint 3".

We now have guidelines that you must use your project name in your sprint names.  I think this is poor functionality on JIRA's part - you should be able to set it up so projects do not share sprints, as this would be common usage.  Having to manually change the sprint names is counter intuitive.

I hope our fix helps someone.  I would like JIRA to change this.

Anastasia Gourina November 4, 2020

Hi Kate!

Thanks for this! Someone is currently experiencing it in our Cloud Jira. This is the first time seeing and hearing about this. I had the same suspicion as what you described. That Jira sees the same name and thinks hmmmm... it must be related so lets link it.

Surprised this has not been fixed yet especially in the cloud offering! I have based this information onto the user.

1 vote
Paul Lydon May 14, 2014

Has anyone found out why this is occuring and a solution to it?

0 votes
Varsha Joshi December 18, 2023

I am seeing this happening on my Jira cloud instance. I do not see any responses lately. I am thinking there is a workaround this issue. Could someone please point me in the direction of the workaround.

I have 2 different software projects. But by changing the sprint name on one project (A) the same name change appears to have affected the sprint name on project (B).

0 votes
katie January 6, 2020

having same issue! very annoying and does not seem as this is intended way to operate. problem is i have a project , let's call it ABC FW and there's an existing project ABC HW.   they've now become linked, which we definitely do not want. They are 2 separate projects completely. 

ABC HW is now on sprint 10. 

ABC FW is starting sprint 4. If i create a new sprint in ABC FW, it automatically names it ABC HW Sprint 4.  If I then rename it, it renames it in the ABC HW project which is not at all what we want or need. 

this seems like a bug. can anyone advise a workaround as now it seems we're kind of stuck. 

EDIT: it seems if i create new sprint 4 in ABC FW and then rename it before the sprint starts, it does not affect ABC HW project. So now I can address it going forward, just now the prior sprints are linked for reporting

0 votes
Kenny Marsh July 17, 2019

I'm not meaning to pile on, but it took way too long for me to fix this issue on my end, and I was only able to resolve it thanks to the tips in this thread.  I can't imagine a scenario where this would be desired behavior...

0 votes
Gagandeep.Garha May 14, 2019

in few responses above it is advised to add Project specific key in front of 'sprint 1' which we were doing anyways, however still encountered the problem.

why Jira is not responding on this thread? frustrating!

0 votes
Tim Schonberger April 9, 2019

I don't fully understand the scenario where this would be desired behaviour.

We created different Jira projects in order to separate the concerns and development cadences of our teams, but yet they're not fully separated? This feels like something desirable only for organizations where absolutely everyone functions on the same sprint cadence, but in the vast majority of cases, it absolutely feels like something you "just need to work around".

0 votes
blwill March 27, 2019

I think this has been eluded to in some responses but not fully called out.  Here is what we found when this happened to us as well.  Sprints are global and not project specific.  So in our example we had Project A that created "Example Sprint 1" and then Project B that created "Example Sprint 1".  Both sprints named the exact same.  Project A assigned their stories to the "Example Sprint 1"  that they created, so all is good.  Project B assigned their stories to the "Example Sprint 1" that Project A created.  When you go into an issue/story and assign a Sprint there is no identifier saying what project a sprint was created in (because Sprints are global).  It would be nice if Atlassian prevented Sprints from being named the same.  So Project B thought they were assigning everything correctly.  This has led us to put some suggested standards in place around Sprint naming to avoid this happening again.  Like including the Project Key in front of the Sprint Name (ABC Sprint 1).  It's a nice feature for cross project collaboration but also something that can be dangerous if project teams aren't aware of how it works. Hopefully this helps.

0 votes
Rob van der End February 17, 2019

When is this going to be fixed?  

How do you expect all teams to be self-organising when they can't manage their own sprint independently?

Rob van der End February 17, 2019

Now I can't separate the sprints in each project.  Even if I create a new sprint in each project with a unique name to that project.  Whichever project creates the newest sprint will then become the sprint for the other project.

WTF is this feature and how to do we work around it????

0 votes
Noah Solnick December 18, 2018

I just ran into this bug. Had two projects, sprint names that could previously be named independently started to sync across projects. I think this may have been triggered by moving issues between the two projects? 

I was able to stop it by creating two new sprints in both projects, moving tickets into those respective new sprints, and renaming them both. 

0 votes
Vikas Chhatwal September 26, 2016

Does anybody know if this was resolved, and how. I am having the same issue. Changed a sprint name on One Board, and it reflects in some other board. This is creating too many reporting and tracking issues. I have multiple projects, and every project is on different sprint. But why all of a sudden is this happening.

0 votes
Niklas Eklund March 6, 2016

This is so annoying. I just created a sprint in our iOS project, that for some reason also created a new sprint in our Android project. I now can't start my real Android sprint since it says I have an ongoing sprint already...but in the Android project that sprint is empty. Since it only contains iOS tickets

I get that boards can be shared between projects, that's great. But projects shouldn't share stuff like this..

0 votes
pkleynhans September 1, 2015

So, I am running 5 development teams in 5 seperate projects and have standardised SOP across the board.

Result: all sprints have the same designation in each seperate project.

Unintended consequence of the above: sprint names randomly change as we do planning

I now have to break standardisation so each project sprint becomes unique?!?

Bad design if you ask me. At least warn me if you are going to merge sprints across projects? Common courtesy...

0 votes
aboardman71 March 24, 2015

"This is the sprints expected behaviour. Despite you can only create a sprint when you’re accessing a board, the sprint is not exclusively tied to this board and project, sprints are global."

So, creating and starting a new sprint in Project 1, also starts the BACKLOG of Project 2.  No, this is not expected behavior.  This is very much a problem.

0 votes
Suhas Patil February 5, 2015

Does anyone get any solution for this?

0 votes
Keith Mifsud June 13, 2014

In our case we need to run multiple sprints at the same time which belong to different projects and thus my solutuon so far is:

1) Create sprints with different names. I use [Project Key(example: TW] and [Sprint number (example: Sprint 2].

2) Then select run sprints in parallel using instructions found on ths wiki:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/How+do+I+have+multiple+or+parallel+sprints+running+at+the+same+time

0 votes
Keith Mifsud June 12, 2014

We're having the exact same issue. Who do we contact to fix this ASAP?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events